788/700 barrel threads.

JJMoody

Any experience/ knowledge on the thread difference between the two? I bought a barrel that was chambered for a blueprinted 700 I've been wanting to mess with a 788 I have and was curious as to possibly spinning it on the 788 action. It's doubtful but hey...

700 is 1.062x16 tpi
788 is 1x20 tpi
Savage small shank 1.055 (1 1/16) x 20
But you should be able to turn & rethread the 700 barrel to fit the 788. I believe the Counter bore on the breech gets remodeled also.

Careful removal of the counter bore leaves the case rim protruding as a Savage. I am not familiar with that dimension on the 788. Someone else could chime in.
That being said after cutting and threading a new tenon, head spacing would be difficult, if not impossible without rechambering.
My guess is if your barrel is newer and high quality it might be worth the effort. Shouldn't cost much more than a set back/re-chamber.
There should be some more experienced pros on here to weigh in.
Randy

700 is 1.062x16 tpi
788 is 1x20 tpi
Savage small shank 1.055 (1 1/16) x 20
But you should be able to turn & rethread the 700 barrel to fit the 788. I believe the Counter bore on the breech gets remodeled also.

This is correct.
The 788 also has a longer barrel thread (Almost 2") so the thread would have to be extended and the breach face should be cut square. The barrel threads on the 788 are quite a bit different than the 700 so they would need redoing and the chamber should be re head spaced or cut.

This should not require much more than a good clean up Like a set back.

There is also a relief cut in the 788 barrel threads for the action screw. but it is not necessary if the front action screw is cut to the correct length.

The recoil lug can be replaced with a 700 lug , if a boss is placed on the barrel shank to land it on and the rest of the shank is threaded with the smaller dia. thread.

It sounds difficult but it is not.

J E CUSTOM

upload_2018-8-3_9-38-39.png

Well, kinda feels like the ol 788's gonna stay a 22-250 for a while... seems like it can be done, but maybe not very well.

Well, kinda feels like the ol 788's gonna stay a 22-250 for a while... seems like it can be done, but maybe not very well.

The 788 is a great action and very easy to change as long as you stay with the cartridges that It was designed for. If you change to one of the other cartridges all you have to do is change the bore diameter to the proper bore size and purchase the proper Magazine for the cartridge

The machine work is easy, but the requirements are different than the 700.

What cartridge were you thinking about ?

J E CUSTOM

Well, I kinda got restless/bored/"what the hell-ed, and bought a 6.5-47 Lapua barrel off the classifieds. Been looking at the TL industries actions, but thought I might mess with the 788 a bit.

Last edited:
Well, I kinda got restless/bored/"what the hell-ed, and bought a 6.5-47 Lapua barrel off the classifieds. Been looking at the TL industries actions, but thought I might mess with the 788 a bit.

The 788 uses a single stack magazine and I'm not sure that one of the factory mags can be made to fit and feed the 6.5x47.

I just finished three 260 Remington AI's (6.5x308) using the 788 action and they worked great using the 308 mag.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts