77 grain load for my coyote rig

rdsii64

First I will say if someone told me what I'm about to tell you, I wouldn't believe it without proof. In fact I saw it with my own eyes and I'm still not sure I believe it.

Anyway, My fathers day present to my self was a magnitospeed sporter. Yesterday I took it along with my coyote rig (which is a RRA 20" predator pursuit) to get some chrono data for my goto load I worked up before I owned a chrono.

I shot a 40 round string over my new magnitospeed. With a 20 inch barrel launching a 77 grain bullet, I would have been happy with 2700 FPS. Now comes the part you may not believe. (hell I saw it and I'm still not sure I believe it).

The average MV for those 40 rounds was 2908 FPS!! Now let that sink in for a minute. 2908 FPS FROM A 20 INCH SEMI AUTO SHOOTING A 77 GRAIN BULLET WITH NO PRESSURE SIGNS !!!! I will say this load is hard on brass. I'll shoot a piece of brass 4 times then toss it. Anyway, I'm pretty stoked about the data I collected. I also chronographed my new 308 AR but that another post.

Coyotes beware,

You didn't give the powder specs?

I've only toyed with 75 grain match out of my 20 inch. I use H414 and settled in on a 2800 fps load

You didn't give the powder specs?

I've only toyed with 75 grain match out of my 20 inch. I use H414 and settled in on a 2800 fps load
Oops MY bad.
I loaded 25.2 grains of AA2520 in a Lake City Case with a Wolf Small rifle primer
77 grain Nosler seated to mag length and taper crimped at the Cannulure.

BE WARNED!!! According to the Acurate Arms Manual, this is a NATO PRESSURE LOAD. If you don't have a Wylde chamber or a NATO chamber this load is WAY TO HOT for a sammi 223 chamber.

accurate long range 77gr load

.223 77gr Sierra Match King
24.8grs. VN140
lapua brass
BR4 primer

AV=2826
ES= 10.5
SD= 3.8

Solid half MOA load in my rifle but the primer pockets don't last long. I couldn't really recommend it! Work up to it. It is over loading manual recommendations.

I dropped down to the 69 gr match king and am much happier with it.

My brother and I have used the 70 grain Barnes bullets in 223 with OK performance if loaded to an accuracy node lower in the powder scale per the Barnes manual they would not reliably open. They would open fine if loaded at or near max book values but accuracy was not really there in our guns. The testing was done in bulistic gel and live game. We have since switched to 55 GMX and no matter where they are loaded per the hornady reloading manual we get good performance of the bullets opening and as an added bonus the point of impact in our guns is the same as the 55 vmax both sub MOA accuracy. Let that sink in we can change bullets with no impact shift and great accuracy. My everyday bullet is the 55 vmax and when hunting season rolls around I simply grab a box of gmx's and head out the door. My load for both bullets is 21gr IMR 3031 CCI 400 COL 2.25" we have used this load in 9 diffrent 223's and all have shot them sub MOA

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts