750 YARD G HOG

Texas,
It a 300 Rum, A-bolt action, 30" Hart barrel,Wenig laminate stock. Topped with a Vari-x III 8 1/2 x 25 on tapered bases.
I'm shooting 180 Ballistic tips at 3520. That's 96gr H1000, fed gm215m primers.

I think it those ballistic tips that make it pop so good. I shot a muley at 480 last november. When we opened the diapham up the heart rolled back into were the guts were. It was completely cut off, the entrance lung was 90% gone the liver 60%,the opposite side lung was 60% gone. And still exited! Needless to say, he only took one step and droped.
I was going to try other bullets in it but haven't found a good reason to.

The best part about this gun is that I build it all myself. Chambered it, throated it,built the muzzle brake, made the tapered bases.Made the barrel bedding block to fasten it to stock.And did the stock work. The stock is not completed yet. Patience is not one of my virtues. After I got the action fitted and the outside roughed in, I had to shoot it.
Greg

Shootinlong,
Sounds great doing it yourself. What kind of machines do you have or use. I was thinking of buying my own lathe and mill so I could do my own rifles. Im in Hawaii and sending my guns to the mainland gunsmiths sure takes a long time. 1 to 2 years it seems. By the time I get it done, I got different ideas(calibers, barrel lenths, etc) I want to try. There is no one really good here, so maybe I could fill the need. Thanks for any help and opinions

Thanks Texas.

Ronin Rifles, I'm probably not the best guy to ask about equipment you should have. I only used what I had availible. There's probably a big difference. Anyhow I used a small Chicago lathe with a steady rest. It has a 36" bed. In my opinion it was A little small. Where I worked before we had a Grazziono lathe (I don't think that is spelled right.) that had a 48" bed. I think that would be more what you could use. As far as a mill you could use anyone as long as the ways were tight and it had a digital read-out to .0005". Also if you get a lathe make sure the ways on it aren't worn out on the cross slide and the the bed. That probably more important than the mill.

I never built a gun before but I've been a machinist for 10 yrs or so, I just kinda took and educated guess at what to do. I read a lot of articles in Precision Shooting and books here and there.
I'm sure there is gunsmiths around here that could have done a much better job than I did. But it was the idea that I did it myself. Hope that helps a little.
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.