700P vs Sendero FS II

Ruger FTW looks interesting too. I can't find any valuable information about it. New in 7mm in local shop for 600, and I just don't know if it worth the risk.

The Ruger is 8 lb rifle naked. Not sure what your budget is but have you looked at Weatherby or even there Vanguards?
I do have 308 Howa in chassis. Nice shooting rig and really heavy. I looked in Howa new offering HS precision. But even with light barrel it weighs 8lb.

I own or have owned each of the Remington's you are considering. If you aren't wanting to customize or at least modify as little as possible, I would personally go with the 5R. Second would be the Sendero then the 700P.
The 700P I have is in 308 and has always shot 1/2moa with handloads or factory premium ammo. Its 10+ yrs old and before Remington QC went in the crapper. I cant factually explain why, but the 5R and Sendero of today seem to be consistently "nicer" in terms of fit and finish than the 700P.
I would definitely add a trigger to whichever you choose. My 2c...

I have rem 700 5r gen 2, in 300wm. Its 8.5 lbs and with viper pst2 5-25 and a suppressor it weighs 12 lbs. has less than 100 rds through it. Did a break in, zeroed it, and took it to Maine ( killed black bear last week). Bad news is my best groups so far are only .75, good news is my worst groups are 1.25. This is various brands of otc ammo, so when i get set up for handloading i hope to improve that... would highly recommend this rifle. Some might say too heavy, but imo its right for that caliber.

I have a Christensen Arms ridgeline in 300WSM that shoots .7-.8 MOA , with factory hornady 200 GR ammo. Light and muzzle brake tamed the recoil , just remember hearing protection

I have a Christensen Arms ridgeline in 300WSM that shoots .7-.8 MOA , with factory hornady 200 GR ammo. Light and muzzle brake tamed the recoil , just remember hearing protection
For sure it great rifle! But cost twice more that Sendero.

I have 3 factory Rem 700's in 3 different platforms at the moment.
A Sendero II in 300WM, a 5R custom shop with Sendero II style stock and a LR with B&C stock.
The latter is the lightest, even though barrel contours are almost identical.
I also have a VSSF II, but that's been customised.

If I were mountain hunting/backpacking/hiking, I would NOT choose any of the above 3 rifles, just too darn heavy to sling in for hours.
Driving to a spot and hunting from a rested position is more suited to those type of rifles.
For stalking, I prefer Win Model 70 EW's or Limber 8400/Montana for their lightweight.

Just my .02 cents.

Cheers.

IMHO if you're not planning to build a custom rifle you should stay away from Rem 700, the manufacturing process and the QA/QC process are inferior compared to other manufacturers.
For a 500yds rifle Tikka or Sako if you have the budget are perfect and the craftsmanship and quality are hard to beat. I will be very surprise if you find a Tikka that won't shot well with at least 2-3 type of factory ammo.

Comparing the 700P to the Sendero is comparing green apples to red apples, not too much of a difference. If the only thing you can modify is the trigger I suggest you look at the Savage F/TR rifle. The factory accutrigger on those rifles is adjustable down to 6oz. It has a 30" heavy barrel and has been designed for F class competition. You can get one for $1000. Don't get me wrong, I love the 700 but this Savage 12 F/TR is more suited to what you want to do.

Savage Long Range or ?

Yes that's the one I was referring to. I'm not trying to push the Savage or start a "Chevy/Ford" debate with others on here, just showing you your options.
The 1st generation Sendero's that I owned were exceptionally accurate, requiring little to no fuss. The newer FS II's I can't speak for.
I have both Savage and Remington, each shoots great with its respective "favorite" load/bullets.
Lots of interest in LR now and almost every manufacturer is building a LR stick or two. I recently Googled "long range rifles" and read till my eyes bled.
Good luck in your choice and keep us posted.

Between me and a hunting buddy we have had 7-8 Sendero's. All have shot right out of the box and have been easy to find loads for. We always had the triggers worked on and put on muzzle breaks. I have carried mine from AZ ruff desert mountains to 11,000 ft Colorado peaks. They are a little heavy and bulky to carry but not that bad. Of course I was younger and tuffer then too. I have sold all mine and go the custom route now but don't think you can go wrong with a Sendero.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.