700p vs 700 sendero

Bryan D,

Did you order your 700P direct from Remington somehow or through another dealer? I have a friend looking for one in 300RUM.

thanks,

Neal

Bullseye,
I looked for a sendero for a while, and considered a used one, but just couldn't make myself buy one. I couldn't find much ordering info on the 700P on Remington's website, so I asked them if it was avalible to the public, and they said that it was as long as a supplier had one and any law enforcement didn't order at the same time (personally don't think that really matters.) I finally found a dealer about an hour from the house that could get one from his supplier, and got him to order it.

This is an old thread, but nobody ever answered this guy's question after 3 pages of just simply trying to figure out what these two rifles were.

I'm interested in some feedback as the 700P is high on my list right now.....

700p vs Sendero anyone?

This is an old thread, but nobody ever answered this guy's question after 3 pages of just simply trying to figure out what these two rifles were.

I'm interested in some feedback as the 700P is high on my list right now.....

700p vs Sendero anyone?
They are both good rifles. The P is just a basic work horse designed for police sniper duty which means basically it's made to be a sub 400yds rifle.

The Sendero functionally is very similar but with much more polish and better finish and aesthetics. With very little work most of them will shoot sub MOA with ease.

They are both heavy rifles not really made to be a rifle carried very far in the field comfortably.

Which would be better for a hunting application? From everything I can read they seem to be identical in potential for accuracy and the only difference seems to be stainless vs parkerized, B&C vs HS Precision stock, and fluted vs standard bull barrels.

The Sendero is .5lb lighter, but with a bipod/sling that's close to negligible. I had read some guys had experienced rusting with the Sendero. How is that possible with even marginal care? Isn't that the point of buying stainless? I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 700P but wanted to make sure there is nothing more than aesthetics that the $200 premium carries with the Sendero. Thanks!

(Especially WildRose for being patient and consistently sharing your knowledge)

Without the proper care, stainless will rust. Firearms and components for firearms are made of 400 series stainless steels which will rust. Dental and surgical tools and equipment are made of 300 series stainless steels, which is much more rust resistant but not suitable for firearms components. Don't blame it on the steel, blame the person who didn't give it proper care.

Which would be better for a hunting application? From everything I can read they seem to be identical in potential for accuracy and the only difference seems to be stainless vs parkerized, B&C vs HS Precision stock, and fluted vs standard bull barrels.

The Sendero is .5lb lighter, but with a bipod/sling that's close to negligible. I had read some guys had experienced rusting with the Sendero. How is that possible with even marginal care? Isn't that the point of buying stainless? I'm thinking I'm going to go with the 700P but wanted to make sure there is nothing more than aesthetics that the $200 premium carries with the Sendero. Thanks!

(Especially WildRose for being patient and consistently sharing your knowledge)
5lbs is a lot if you are carrying it very far. If you're not, then it's a bonus as long as you are shooting from a supported position because as a rule, heavier is steadier.

I wouldn't want either for a mountain rifle but I'd be perfectly content shooting either prone or from a supported position.

For a guy on a budget who isn't hung up on the aesthetics all else being equal the P is a great choice.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Is there any credibility in what I've heard about the police line having higher quality control or handpicked barrels over the rest of the 700 line? Also, the fluting cuts a half pound off the sendero, but as I'll be pausing between shots for cooling anyways is there any advantage in accuracy?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Is there any credibility in what I've heard about the police line having higher quality control or handpicked barrels over the rest of the 700 line? Also, the fluting cuts a half pound off the sendero, but as I'll be pausing between shots for cooling anyways is there any advantage in accuracy?
No and no. The P is designed to meet the specs most departments are looking for but there's nothing particularly special about the P Line barrels.

Good evening all. My first post here. I have a 700PSS in 300RUM that I want to make into 1Kyd+ hunting/steel rifle. I have decided on a Painkiller muzzle brake from Kirby Allen. Other than that I am looking for recommendations for scope, base, rings, scope, bedding, and stock if the one it came in needs replacing.

I will likely shoot the 220SMK or 230 Berger if it is suitable. Carrol Pilant at Sierra told me the 220 would probably be more forgiving than the 210. I have a BDL in 300RUM that will shoot .75 moa 5 shot groups with lighter Barnes XLCs.

I have also been considering the Bushnell 3.5-21x FFP with the GAP reticle.

What mods would you guys make on the 700 PSS? Any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Welcome!

Incidentally, you're probably better off posting your question in the "Long Range Hunting" forum where you'll have a lot more eyes reading your post.

Also, you'll get a lot of suggestions to use the "Search" function, but unfortunately it is sorta finicky to use.....

Otherwise, your stock is a good one, though would likely benefit from (at least) a skim bedding job. I like Leupold and haven't used Zeiss, Vortex, Sightron, Bushnell, Nightforce, Swarovski, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender or many of the other high-end optics. However, Vortex is highly regarded as a great bang-fer-yer-buck optic.

As to what you can do to improve your rifle - it depends highly on your personal skillset;
1) as mentioned above, bed the stock/recoil lug
2) ensure the barrel is free from contacting the stock at all points
3) smooth out the trigger or replace it (Jewell/Timney/Shilen are all good)
4) lap the recoil lugs to the receiver
5) lap the scope mounts and rings

These are the things I do to my rifles. Otherwise, I have to take it to a 'smith for the really skilled work.

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am ordering a Timney. I won a competition AR trigger from Timney in my last big 3 gun match but they wont trade it out for a 700 trigger.

I lap all my scope rings on everything.

The barrel makes no contact from the factory.

Will look at the lapping and bedding for sure. Thx again

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.