700P MLR .338 Lapua on its way

If your planning to pack the rifle while you hunt IMO the Nightforce NXS, S&B PMII, USO, are all too big and heavy.

I would consider a Leupold Varx III 4.5-15 with Duplex reticle. The Leupolds are much smaller & lighter and they are very similar to their MK4 brother just the scope tube is half the thickness, so I'm told. Go with the target turrets so you can chage them out with M1's later if you want. You should be able to find a good used one in your price range.

I have had about 10 Leupolds and never had a problem with any of them, but one I dropped - my fault. I called them and sent it in and they fixed it for free - it was only the ring in front of the objective got bent when I dropped it, but wanted it replaced and checked out. - Great customer service with me.

I have also had 4 Nightforce NXS and 5 S&B's - awesome scopes - all comes down to purpose and $$.

In all honesty $500.00 for a long range scope doesn't cut the cake!!! Why have a rifle that can shoot out to a 1000 yards if you cant see that far through your sights. I have a Remington Sendero in 338 RUM. I found a slightly used Burris Black Diamond Posi Lock Scope in 4 X 16 for around the price your looking for. Spend the money for a quality sight and you will be glad you did later on.

Eric

I finally had the opportunity to load some rounds and head to the range.
There is only one word I can find that is appropriate... "WOW !"

The Remmy 700P MLR in .338 Lapua is an absolute DREAM to shoot!

I decided to use the Tubbs Final Finish system (5 different 'coatings' applied to 215 gr. bullets, designed to polish the bore), so loaded up the 10 rounds of each bullet... for 50 total.

I also loaded some 250 gr and 300 gr SMKs just for fun, and took them along. :)

During my morning visit to the range, shot the 50 Tubbs FF rounds and found the barrel to be much easier to clean after each succesive 'grit' (cannot feel it, but seems to have worked quite well for intended purpose). Now that the barrel had been "Final Finished", I put a few of the 250 gr SMKs downrange, then some of the 300 gr SMKs. I will be getting out soon to the range to do some serious load development, but it seems to prefer the higher loads (close/at max).

After 90 total rounds through the new rifle, best group at 200 yds was with the 250 gr SMKs at 1"; 300 gr SMKs at 1.2". Keep in mind that I was, admittedly, probably not shooting my best after the first 50 rounds, and this was just with some sub-max loads! I will post pictures from the next trip, and give load data then.

As for the experience... I also took my Rem 700CDL .30-06 for recoil comparison. I have to say - the .338, with its factory muzzle brake, was the softer of the two!! However, if you are anywhere other than in the shooter's position, the pressure wave of the .338 is fearsome! - even at 20 yds quartering behind. The Rem .338 LM is heavy enough (big barrel; the pictures are deceiving), has a very good recoil pad, and has the brake... all add up to a fun-to-shoot, no sore shoulder/cheek, rifle!

The Vortex Viper scope performed extremely well for this first day at the range. Clear, plenty of eyebrow clearance, dialed right in and stayed.

Again, I will post more later after my next range day, and include pics and load data!

WOW ! Nice rifle, Remington !! gun)

- Walt

Last edited:
Keep us posted on the progress. I will be working with mine today also, I have only worked with the 300smk so far> Have you done any velocity testing yet, or fooled with the seating depth

i have been trying to find one but nobody has them and from what I have heard most distributers have a 30 or 40 gun back order here in the east. anyone hear any differnt?

Jared

I have been shooting the 338 or wildcat variants for almost 20 years and the Lapua brass is 2nd to none. I have a few thousand rounds of it and every lot has been very consistent..

Scopes I can't help you with as all of mine are USO,or the S&B PMII's.

Will tell you that 7829, RL25 and 870 work great in this---others like WMR, 869, H1000 and N560 might be great in your specific rifle.

i have been trying to find one but nobody has them and from what I have heard most distributers have a 30 or 40 gun back order here in the east. anyone hear any differnt?

Jared

Get your dealer to call Accusport, from what i was told they are the only wholesaler in the country that can get this rifle from remington and they distrubte from their based on dealer orders, Their was one on gunbroker that closed out awhile ago it has been the second one i have saw on their in 2 months. the auction has already closed dont know what it sold for the last one was $1350

I only waited about 2 weeks on mine but i must of hit them at the right time, Accusport said they have had 18 of the rifles so far , none in stock but was expecting a shipment from remington any time.

My ffl got his name on their list as wanting one when they come in and true to their word they recieved only 5 rifles and i got one of them:)

thanks that what i thought, I had my guy call acusport two days ago and they said they were around 30 rifles on back order,I did have him get on the list so I guess now its just a waiting game,I did see the one on gun broker,to rich for me I will get this one at cost,just wanted to have it ready for this season but guess I will have to wait and see

Jared

keep up the reports I would like to hear more about yours

Ordered mine from Sniper Country PX, Scott is great to work with and got it 3 weeks after I ordered. I believe he gets in 2-3 a month.

I don't have the 338 Lapua Mag but I did just buy a Savage 116 Bear Hunter in .338 Win Mag. Has a 23 inch barrel with Savages adjustable muzzle break. You sure can tell the difference when it's open or closed LOL. Any back on track I have 6 of the WOTAC scopes there 4 x 14 x 50mm , have 80 MOA's of adjustment up and 50 I believe for windage. I mounted it with a weaver 20 MOA base for $40.00 bucks looks and works just as good as the $150.00 model. The WOTAC has a lifetime guarantee they run about $340.00. They have always held zero have the large turrets so you can dial them with gloves on the windage knob is colored white and red so you can tell which way you dialed it. I really like these scopes and Matt at Wonder optic is great to work with. They have great customer service. The glass is clear and the cross hairs are fine there is another 20 MOA's in the reticle so with the base and the 80 and the extra 20 you have over will call it 110 MOA's for me this scope works well. I have bad eye like most old farts so for me to shoot a 1000 yds with it is saying something. Here's Matt's web site Wonders Optics Home good luck with your new rifle and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.