700 problems

michaln

yesterday I went to shoot my rem 700 sps for the first time
I have put it in a manners stock the first thing is that I really have to slam the bolt
closed in order to lock it down and also the bolt does not pick up last cartridge
in the magazine any ideas ?

johnnyk

Sounds like the action is in a bind. Does the stock have a blind magazine or detachable floor plate? Hard to close sounds almost like the front scope base screw is too long and protruding down inside the action. Only thing I can figure on the feeding is the reciever and box magazine are fitting together for some reason. Do these conditions occur with the original stock? JohnnyK.

cinch

LRH Team Member
Front stock bolt may be too long. Loosen bolts and see if it frees everything up. If so, file stock bolt to fit.

michaln

I'll give it a try thank you

this problem only occurs when there is a cartridge in the chamber
I tried factory ammo out of 3 different boxes

Last edited:

cva54

losen the acction screws and just see if it works dont shoot it. if it works U found it. How tight are U cranking down on them?

michaln

I have reassembled everything the feeding problem is solved
all the screws are good and I have talked to another guy who has the same rifle
he says his is tight too
I shot it again today and it seems to have loosened up a bit
thanks

cva54

it shouldnt bind at all. Why did'nt U buy a bell & carlson stock?

cva54

I was just wondering why U pick tha brand off the stock tha a hole new ball game? Did U buy this rifle new?

michaln

I bought the rifle new never fired a shot
cerakoted the barrel and receiver, put a timney trigger in it ,put in an aluminum firing pin assembly, AZ bolt knob , changed the and bedded stock
mounted a ziess 4.5x14x50 rapid z on top
then shot it
with factory ammo the first group was two touching and a flier everything after that could be covered with a nickel or dime shot it again yesterday different ammo and the groups opened up to 1"-1.5"

cva54

NEW that blows ever I was think out the window. is it getting better?

michaln

I once had 700 problems but got divorced and the problems went away. Now I shoot whenever I want, no problem!

I couldn't pass up that open window, just had to jump thru it.
now that's not nice I just got a new rifle for my wife... best trade I ever made:D:D:D

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce