700 P 7mm Mag

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 7stw, Jan 16, 2011.

1. 7stw

7stw Well-Known Member

I was "gun browseing" yesterday and scored a 700p in 7 mag. The price was what you would expect to pay for a used BDL. The barrel looks excellent, and the stock is clean, no scratches, dings or pucks. I was looking for one of these awhile back, and no one had them. I have long been a fan of 7mm mag, have owned several in that caliber, and most of them have shot well. This rifle is a pre-Pro Mark trigger model. If this thing shoots, I will leave it alone, if not it is going to become a 7mm STW with the aid of a Pacific reamer I have. Anybody have any experience with this Model? Rare??????gun)AIM SMALL , MISS SMALLlightbulb

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Falcon7668

Falcon7668 Member

7stw,

Good Morning,

I would suggest that this is extremely rare since you don't see this model in this caliber. The original P (Police), 26" heavy crown cut Parkerized barrel, etc. I have a couple of 700's to trade if your interested. 7mm, 300 win mag, and a NIB 223 Custon Deluxe. I live in Cecil County, MD. Give me a call next time your passing thru.
    Be Safe,
    Steve
    201 264-4472

3. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I have one and it is "pretty" accurate. My youngest son (21) has it right now but I'll probably get it back one day when he get's tired of it.
    I bought it used from a gunshop in Goldsboro, NC and according to the previous owner it had less than 3 boxes of factory fodder through it and during our conversation I recognized he had no clue about barrel break-in. After what I thought should have been a proper barrel break-in, and somewhat lengthy, I proceeded to load development with the 168gn Berger.
    I went though a 100 ct box and never did find a repeatable, accurate load. I changed over to the 150gn Nolser BT and it produced 1/4" groups and that's all I have shot in it since.
    I changed out the OEM trigger with a Shilen and that made it even better. While it was accurate I have a Winchester M70 HVB and two Savages 112BVSS's that are consistently more accurate. Getting an extremely accurate one is a 50/50 propisition, like any make/model. Good luck. JohnnyK.

4. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

When I bought my PSS (what they called the 700P before changing the name), I looked at and shot the 7RM version as well as the .308 version. It was nice, but I opted for .308 at the time. Back then, 2003-2004, the 7RM was a standard option version of the rifle.

JeffVN

5. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

adjust the trigger, put a good scope on it . enjoy