700 BDL Conversion Help!

WSM

I know this souds crazy but has anyone converted a h-s precision stock 700 LA BDL to an ADL? Yes BDL to ADL, not the other way around.

Not exactly ADL, but if you can scrounge up 721 bottom metal it would eliminate the hinged floor plate and require minimal if any work to the stock I think.

Just curious, why an ADL ? Lots of the old custom rifle makers preferred the Solid Bottom look
but they used hi grade wood .

If you don't like the BDL metal You might look at the Rem Detachable Mag. I have several
rifles and realy like the convenience.

I see no reason that you couldn't fill the bottom and In letting in and refinish the stock.

I have changed repeater stocks into single shots buy filling the entire mag well with a filler and
bedding the action (Solid bottom single shot) 100% and re finishing the bottom of the stock.
This added lots of strength and rigidity.

Let us know how/what you do.

J E CUSTOM

My main objection to the ADL setup is dealing with the middle screw, and if you use the stamped 721 long action, or 722 short action bottom metal, they are drilled for the middle screw. The stampings are cheesy looking to me, and don't fit the BDL inlet very well, but are easier than filling the stock, and you still have a repeater. I think you have to use an ADL mag box also. It's taller than the BDL box.

Good luck, Tom

Last edited:
For some reason the floor plate won't close. The bottom metal sitts to deep in the stock. I guess it would be best to just bed the bottom metal enough to allow it to lock.

Check the hinge end. The hinge end of the floorplate sometimes hits the stock just behind the front action screw. If that's the case, a Dremel relief cut where it is hitting is all it takes to get the floorplate to open like it's supposed to.

Worth checking.

Tom

I misread your post. If the floorplate won't close, what I suggested won't fix it.

Sorry, Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.