700 Barrel Removal at Standstill

So first thing I will share about this whole adventure is: "ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT TOOLS!" I tried to make do with what I had on hand but sometimes you just need to belly up to bar and get the better tool off the shelf!

Success at last!!!
fireworks.gif

Mark Penrod (Penrod Precision) took all of few minutes to remove the receiver BUT I will say that the steel vise and aluminum bushing took a hit the first time he tried since the barrel turned in bushing. His response was: OK I see your problem and put a cheater on the vise and it chirped tight. He then said this will work now! He put a cheater on the action wrench and there was a loud pop and the receiver spun free. He laughed and said I didn't have a chance with oak bushings. The threads were loaded with red Loctite as we all suspected. He then ran a tap thru receiver to clean and chase threads to make it easier to work with for new barrel. Had wonderful discussion with him on variety of gunsmithing topics and he was a treasure chest of info.

The Wheeler vise is probably ok for an OEM barrel removal (maybe or probably so take your pick!) but no doubt a heavy steel vise with the selection of aluminum bushings is the right way to go. SO need to make out birthday list!

So on to setting throat needs for new barrel and send the dummies off with barrel order:
27" SS Light Palma contour
5R 1:8 twist
Throating for Hammer 156 HH to start with.
Have Precision stock, Timney trigger
Going to re-cerakote the receiver so the black will pop with the SS barrel and lug.
This all needs to take place in parallel to my shoulder surgery so when barrel is ready, I should be ready to shoot again...I hope!

I have 100 of 156 HH and a new 8 lbs of RL26 waiting to be popped as well once barrel arrives!

Anybody need a 30-06AI tomato stake? BTW - it is not stamped as 30-06AI not sure why it wasn't. Probably home grown reamer rental.
IMG_4114.JPG

Muddy,
Sorry to hear that you and your bride are down with aftershot effects.
I will wait patiently for the resumption of this ongoing saga ;) .
Informative and humorous, better reading than a Tom Perry book. LOL.
Be safe and get well.
Tommyt
Hi Tommy! The after effects of the shot were really no big deal at all for both of us. Almost exactly 24 hours after shot, we both got chills that lasted maybe 2 hours with slight low grade fever 100.5 or so that lasted couple more hours after the chills. It was more of an inconvenience than really OMG complaint that you read which is likely from Facebook folks needs someone to send them a hug emoji to feel better. JMO. The next morning was like nothing ever happened and this was for 70 and 65 year old geezers. Since both of us had identical reactions I would bet it is probably typical and expected which I would classify small potatoes at best.

Sounds like you ended up using they right tool what ever he charged you
It was embarrassing little what he charged me and the gunsmithing talk afterwards was worth more to me than getting the barrel spun off! He is located in N. Manchester, IN and is little over 2 hours for me but I know him, used him for a No. 1 mod and trust his work. Highly recommend!

Success at last!!! .......
........ The Wheeler vise is probably ok for an OEM barrel removal (maybe or probably so take your pick!) but no doubt a heavy steel vise with the selection of aluminum bushings is the right way to go. SO need to make out birthday list!

So glad it's off Muddy!

Just so you know, I have the Brownells Sleeve Vice but only needed it once for an old Sako that was pitted and rusted on. My Wheeler Clone has worked fine for many dozens of other builds and is way more convenient. Those aluminium bushings are also a big PIA but at least I am able to make my own.

If I were you, I'd consider paying Penrod to true your action instead of just chasing the threads.

Anyway, I'm glad it's off, that you are happy, and that all is well at the Muddy Boot Camp.

One tough 700 I did was 30÷ years old
Used a good pipe wrench with sharp jaws and a 4 foot cheaterpipe when it snapped loose I thought my elbow did too one thought at the time was to slide a nut over the barrel & weld all around then use an impact wrench on the nut bet it eod have worked always did on tight bolts & nuts on logging machinery.the pipe wrench marks cleaned up with a file

I think I can say we ALL had a terrific journey and I have say even with all the 🤬set backs it was fun learning experience! The Wheeler with correct diameter blocks, rosin, clean dry barrel and OEM rifle from factory is likely to work fine. But I also learned how to make better oak blocks and use hickory flooring as backing plates to increase compression. A 4' 2x4 oak cost same as replacement oak block so you have way more to work with in a 2x4! I increased the size of the blocks twofold but you need to add in backing plates to give solid compression. PB, Kroil and acetone mixed and injected into first base hole with syringe can help penetrate deeper into threads. The overnight 24 hours in freezer didn't really do anything. Hammers of Thor didn't work even on cheater. Tried heating with heat gun and even with Mapp gas monitoring with an IR scanner to insure the max temp of 350 I wanted wasn't exceeded. Trailer hitch wrench from Walmart for about $15 gives huge torque to Wheeler vise nuts. I even tried CO2 to "freeze" barrel from receiver but that didn't work either. A lot of these steps might break a normal barrel but when Red Loctite is used all bets are off. I thought about using dry ice but did not get into that. Soaked threads vertical muzzle up and receiver up for days on end to no avail. Tried using teak as barrel blocks and they may still be a good option if you have it around. Pretty dense wood! Tried sheetrock tape around barrel but didn't get any help with it. The dang loctite!

The real problem is how do you dissolve thread locker on barrel threads torqued into receiver so you can apply enough force to break the adhesion. Heat is probably best solution but I am very conservative applying heat. Because of the thread locker, I just could not get sufficient compression on barrel to hold it tight enough to break the thread locker adhesion. Even in a steel vise with aluminum bushing it took extra torque on the setup to hold barrel to break it free so it was one tough setup!

Keep plenty of band aids nearby too, just saying! Then again plenty of top shelf bourbon!! My wife thanked me for increasing her vocabulary she heard coming from basement😱.

BTW the hickory flooring make great reloading blocks using forstner drill bits which leave nice flat bottom to drill hole.

Hopefully the thread was at least entertaining if not informative!

Last edited:
I think I can say we ALL had a terrific journey and I have say even with all the 🤬set backs it was fun learning experience!.... Keep plenty of band aids nearby too, just saying! Then again plenty of top shelf bourbon!! My wife thanked me for increasing her vocabulary she heard coming from basement😱....... BTW the hickory flooring make great reloading blocks using forstner drill bits which leave nice flat bottom to drill hole. Hopefully the thread was at least entertaining if not informative!

This was a great ride MuddyBoots.

Yes, it was entertaining. But I especially love off-the-wall threads where I can hope to learn something. Especially something all-new! And I did!

A few noteables:

1. Hickory is the strongest commonly available wood in the US and Canada. It is 30% stronger than oak!

2. NEVER USE RED THREADLOCKER ON BARREL THREADS! NEVER!!!!

3. Hickory Floorboards make great reloading blocks.

4. Never underestimate the stubbornness of an old man.

5. Never assume the wife can't learn new swear-words.

6. The vaccine can cause significant short-term symptoms.

7. Loctite Aerosul Shock Freeze -43C.
Same temp as liquid propane but safer and way more convenient. Gotta get me some o that!

I enjoyed this thread very much. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Tommy! The after effects of the shot were really no big deal at all for both of us. Almost exactly 24 hours after shot, we both got chills that lasted maybe 2 hours with slight low grade fever 100.5 or so that lasted couple more hours after the chills. It was more of an inconvenience than really OMG complaint that you read which is likely from Facebook folks needs someone to send them a hug emoji to feel better. JMO. The next morning was like nothing ever happened and this was for 70 and 65 year old geezers. Since both of us had identical reactions I would bet it is probably typical and expected which I would classify small potatoes at best.
Hey I was just thinking that this thread may have the most replies I have seen (in category). Who knows? LOL !
Good night, be safe, be well.

I added a "Noteable Learning" edit to my post above but it's worth highlighting here for others who might not want to read anything I write twice! LOL!

7. Loctite Aerosul Shock Freeze -43C.
Same temp as liquid propane but safer and way more convenient and other useful properties. Gotta get me some o that!

The fact that it's roughly the same temp as liquid propane makes me suspicious though. Best to check the MDS and safety warnings before using.

Edit - It's mostly butane with a bit of naptha and some lubricants. Butane is even heavier than propane so extra caution is warranted. However the small container and quantities used are somewhat similar to a butane lighter refill. The label says to use outdoors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.