700 Barrel Removal at Standstill

Probably going to be off for couple days since just got 2nd Moderna shot this afternoon. I doubt if I will be in mood to swing hammer of Thor until next week! Which is why I decided to soak again since I bet there will be down time.

Hammer.png

Probably going to be off for couple days since just got 2nd Moderna shot this afternoon. I doubt if I will be in mood to swing hammer of Thor until next week! Which is why I decided to soak again since I bet there will be down time.

View attachment 255836
Come on Michigan LRH members, go over and help Muddyboots! We can't stand the wait! We gots to know!

hydraulic press + two pieces of 5/8 plywood + rosin. 2 or 3 good swings with a 5 pound hammer and they all come apart.

Leaning/standing has never worked for the stubborn barrels in my experience, it takes that initial Jolt/shock of the hammer to bust them free.

I've never seen these small vices work that brownells and midway sells.

hydraulic press + two pieces of 5/8 plywood + rosin. 2 or 3 good swings with a 5 pound hammer and they all come apart.

Leaning/standing has never worked for the stubborn barrels in my experience, it takes that initial Jolt/shock of the hammer to bust them free.

I've never seen these small vices work that brownells and midway sells.
Look's like I have another use for my 30-ton hydraulic shop press. You just use plywood on each side of the barrel shank with rosin? Sounds way simple.

We put 34 ton on a 6 inch nut one time here at a local machine shop a few years back . Before it finally broke loose . Granted there is a whole lot more surface area than what you're dealing with . But I'd say let it soak then smack the you know what out of it . If that don't work put the fire wrench to it and get it good and hot the a few solid warps with Thor's hammer

A stupid question, but just in case, the scope mount screws or any other screws in those holes have all been removed? Realized that I hadn't seen that mentioned or discussed.

A stupid question, but just in case, the scope mount screws or any other screws in those holes have all been removed? Realized that I hadn't seen that mentioned or discussed.
Always check for this since the 1st rifle I bought in 1968 didn't have screws but one if the screws had rolled a thread which made barrel removal a couple years back interesting but nothing like this dang barrel!

Maybe the previous owner put left hand threads on it to p+++ you off.
Tom
Now this would be ultimate payback!

Tagging in for entertainment purposes.
Its become entertaining for my wife to hear me on each time I come back upstairs from basement in failure!🤬😱

Always check for this since the 1st rifle I bought in 1968 didn't have screws but one if the screws had rolled a thread which made barrel removal a couple years back interesting but nothing like this dang barrel!

Now this would be ultimate payback!

Its become entertaining for my wife to hear me on each time I come back upstairs from basement in failure!🤬😱
My wife has heard the same grumblings from our basement

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.