700 Barrel Removal at Standstill

Ok, Grainger is a place where I have found great stuff to repurpose for gunsmithing. So this looks interesting repurpose as a barrel clamp to use in Wheeler. Cheap! $8.42! Steel clamp for 1", dimensions roughly 4" long, 3" high and 1.25" wide so decent size. Heck I get my pillars there for bedding too! Just looking for more stout barrel clamp CHEAP.
9E48A960-990F-4F7F-BDF6-7ED7E859C938.jpeg

This is interesting for sure. I'm tagging in. I'm in the "machine the lug" group, at least as the first move from here.
Too bad we haven't invented the "Acme Receiver Impact Wrench" yet.

Bob, I have a stubborn streak that sometimes stops the "easy" button!🤣 I just can't accept this barrel cannot be removed without damage.....yet. As you know, these types of "problems" generate the ideas that may not ordinarily be considered. This is my 1st "hunt" of 2021 that is the hunt for a solution. It is a form of engineering fun to some extent! I am also looking at using hydraulics as a possible solution but $$ is a problem.

OK, I bought a used 700 LA with a Remington 308 factory barrel that was reamed to 30-06AI. I have Wheeler barrel vise and an action wrench that will do 700's. I taken plenty off without any problems at all until NOW! Soaked 3 days with PB Blaster in vertical position on threads just to give it some potential penetration, went through usual setting barrel and wrench and the bugger will not budge even striking the action wrench handle with large rubber mallet.

I heat it with heat gun taking the action up to 200F and still no go which has always worked before.

Placed barrel in freezer for 24 hours, reset in vise, heated action up to 350F with Mapp and still no go; just will not budge. I have been told to take it up to 600F to melt possible thread locker which I am now thinking may have been used to seat the barrel after being reamed to 30-06AI.

So what do you think about 600F? I am not a fan of heating with Mapp but I am out of ideas. I have used the freezer, soaked the crap out of it, used pretty heavy rubber mallet to strike the action wrench so it was getting good shot of impact.

What's next?
I had to whack my action wench with a sledge hammer on my 700 but it came loose.

Bob, I have a stubborn streak that sometimes stops the "easy" button!🤣 I just can't accept this barrel cannot be removed without damage.....yet. As you know, these types of "problems" generate the ideas that may not ordinarily be considered. This is my 1st "hunt" of 2021 that is the hunt for a solution. It is a form of engineering fun to some extent! I am also looking at using hydraulics as a possible solution but $$ is a problem.
I was thinking of having a machine shop just make me a aluminum block that fits into the Wheeler Barrel vice that also matches the Remington sporter barrel contour. I was puzzled why the pin rosin method didn't work for me so I looked at other rosins and will try that next time. Or just bite the bullet and get the Brownells Barrel vice.

There is more than one shop that uses a hydraulic press as a barrel vise.

and if you compare prices, even cheaper than a lot of barrel vises on the market. Just need to make/buy bushings/collets.

Plus they are multi use compared to a vise

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.