700 Barrel Removal at Standstill

I won't be too far behind with cutting but I want to try as many different methods I can think of just to see if they will work. Maybe a method will work that I can use in future. Being retired gives me no time constraint so gives me time to get creative or off the wall which is a far trip🤣

I won't be too far behind with cutting but I want to try as many different methods I can think of just to see if they will work. Maybe a method will work that I can use in future. Being retired gives me no time constraint so gives me time to get creative or off the wall which is a far trip🤣

I understand totally. Been there done that. I bought a used set of 24ft disks that turned out to be not such a great deal. The previous owner didn't grease the hinge pins and they were all seized. I tried EVERYTHING to get those pins out with no success until I stacked up enough things in my favour. I ended up drilling the pins and ran ice cold water through them while I put a torch on the sleeves, a puller torqued up on the bracket to push on one end of the pins, and a slide hammer on a custom machined slide bolt in a custom threaded hole on the other end of the pin. This was enough to let them go with a huge BANG sliding that hammer with everything I have in my 6'3" frame.

A suitable fluid chilled in the dry ice and then run through the bore with a chamber adapter together with controlled heat on the action and a sharp rap on the torque bar might just do it.

Not first Rem barrel but first that was prob thread locked. Have gone through 2 sets of blocks even one made of teak that usually does job. Used rosin up the whazoo, lead shims and aluminum bushings. 4' cheater, Mapp to 350F using IR scanner to monitor temps. Stuck in freezer for 24 hours, smacked with 5lb anvil hammer. Since I was a farrier in another lifetime I feel comfortable swinging that bad boy like I mean it!😂 Actually felt good to swing the old girl again like that. BUT that is one stubborn barrel. So do I give in! Nay say I! Got one more thing to try. Going to set the barrel end in dry ice which will take the temp down lot lower than freezer can. This has become a quest more than just getting a barrel off! So I also mixed Kroil with PB that I will hit threads when barrel is in dry ice. I may hit the receiver with heat gun when barrel is in dry ice at same time. So now this has become a such a challenge that I will keep trying different methods. Cutting barrel off will be anticlimactic so I plan to beat the barrel! It will not win!
I don't have anything further to contribute than what's already been said, other than you, sir, have the winning spirit.

That poor barrel has no chance against that mindset.

The homemade acetone/ATF is really good stuff—better than Kroil or PB blaster by a long shot, and I used to swear by those.

Plunge cut my well known smith had to make for relief in order to remove factory wby tube. Good luck!

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 110
One issue i had removing a rem 700 barrel was that the tap drill for the scope mounts went to deep and entered into the barrel threads. Was a beast to get out. Lots of resin and BFH to get it out. Of course i didnt know until i got it out that i was fighting a rolled thread. Luckily for me the thread on the barrel in that location gave way and not the receiver. May be something to think about if you have some options for someone to machine relief cuts. I know it ruins the barrel, but may save the receiver.

CRAZY thought here ... perhaps a couple of really good hard raps in the "righty tighty" direction? ... It just might move in the opposite direction enough to "break the seal" of whatever is holding you back ...

But - I had a similar battle trying to get endcaps off a hydraulic cylinder not so long ago ... I didn't win ... If I were in your spot, I'd relieve it in the lathe and twist it out ...

Dang it ... now I am gonna HAVE to watch this thread to see the outcome! :)

Good luck and I can't wait to see how this turns out and learn from it!

I am with a few others go ahead and do the relief cut dont take the chance of messing up a good reciever you dont even have to tell us just say your wife unscrewed it for you

CRAZY thought here ... perhaps a couple of really good hard raps in the "righty tighty" direction? ... It just might move in the opposite direction enough to "break the seal" of whatever is holding you back ...
Been there, done that. Didn't care about the barrel, pipe wrench coming up lol.

Lol! Bought a couple from Harbor Freight for tractor snow plow so have the "tool" if I need it. Keep the ideas coming! This barrel WILL NOT WIN!

I feel like this barrel is against the LRH brain trust and we need to get creative!
I'm telling ya pipe wrench on a barrel nearing the end of it's usefulness. But if you care about how it looks then it's a last resort.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.