700 Barrel Removal at Standstill

So now I now have 100.7 and chills so in recliner with heavy fleece blanket so not going to touch the project prob to Monday. I have solid hickory 3/4"x 3" flooring that I plan to work into vise. I can adjust length all I want.
Wife in other recliner so what a pair!
Sir I hope and pray you and the lady in the recliner next to ya start feeling better

If you want to use the "freeze" method, turn a can of canned air (keyboard cleaner air spray) upside down. I have removed bolts that way. Not saying thats what you need to do but thought I'd just mention it with talks of other freezing techniques earlier.

If you want to use the "freeze" method, you can turn a can of canned air (keyboard cleaner air spray)upside down. I have removed bolts that way. Not saying thats what you need to do but thought I'd just mention it with talks of other freezing techniques earlier.

Obviously wear leather gloves and PPE to protect yourself. Do not let it contact your skin.

Last edited:
So now I now have 100.7 and chills so in recliner with heavy fleece blanket so not going to touch the project prob to Monday. I have solid hickory 3/4"x 3" flooring that I plan to work into vise. I can adjust length all I want.

Wife in other recliner so what a pair!

Holy Crxx! Is this a standard reaction to the vaccine? I had not heard that.

I hope you both get well soon!

I've heard of similar responses to the second shot. Our Respiratory Therapist niece said that the first shot hurt her arm like a normal flu shot, only a little more so. The second shot though, it kicked her behindular zone for about 3 days.

Everyone seems to respond slightly differently to the shots, but my observation is that the responses tend to fall into two groups. Some get off pretty light and barely feel much from either shot while others get a pretty serious response from one of the two shots, usually the second one but not always.

There's more important things in life than getting this barrel loose. We'll be here when you and the Mrs. are better.

Lots of people I know had bad fevers, body aches, headaches etc after the second shot. My parents said it took them 2 days to feel better. Good friend of mine said 18 hours

Holy Crxx! Is this a standard reaction to the vaccine? I had not heard that.

I hope you both get well soon!
About half the guys that work for me got the moderna shot series. Most had no problems with the first shot. The second one whooped all their tails. Fever, chills, headaches just to name a few.

About half the guys that work for me got the moderna shot series. Most had no problems with the first shot. The second one whooped all their tails. Fever, chills, headaches just to name a few.
Myself, my type 1 diabetic wife, my asthmatic 7 year old son, my 6 year old daughter, and my almost 2 year old daughter all got covid, and many of the people I'm hearing about are having worse affects from the vaccine than any of us had with the actual covid. Makes me wonder.

Myself, my type 1 diabetic wife, my asthmatic 7 year old son, my 6 year old daughter, and my almost 2 year old daughter all got covid, and many of the people I'm hearing about are having worse affects from the vaccine than any of us had with the actual covid. Makes me wonder.
One gal that works for me got COVID along with her husband. She got the moderna shots and she said she felt like she had COVID all over again after the second shot. Nurse told her that if you had COVID and then get the shots, the side effects tend to be more intense than someone who did not get COVID prior to the shot. Her husband got the Pfizer shot and was fine after the first one, second one had some side effects that caused him to be laid up for a couple days. ???

Ok, thx for all the kind thoughts! The fever chills only lasted couple hours with both of us. Recovered fast and really no big deal. Seriously it didn't last but a couple hours!

So back to the "Show"! I know you all just want the barrel off by cutting but this has become such a personal challenge I want to try every means possible. I look at this as a way to try new off the wall ideas to break the barrel off. So if it ever happens again, I will have a book of steps to try!

I am going to pick up some "freezing" chemicals to try. The injecting of Kroil, PB, acetone mixture into the base screw hole is working since I am seeing seepage around recoil lug. So the barrel may be ready to go.

I've watched this thread for 10 pages now. I really like the propane idea! Talk about Darwins' Theory of Evolution! The "heat it up with a torch" is a true winner, too. We heat treat some parts made of 4140 in the machine shop where I work (I just gunsmith part time. That way I can 'pick and choose") and tempering temps begin @ about 400*F. You can quickly surpass that 400*F in a heart beat with a torch. I have been removing factory barrels and installing customs for 30yrs and never had such trouble removing a Remington factory barrel. Never have needed heat, just the proper tools and know-how. Send it to Jim, before you royally screw-up the action to the point it's no longer useable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts