700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag

wjarrell

I posted this in "The basics/Starting out" forum but it seems like this forum has more traffic.

I'm fairly new to rifles and very green to long range shooting and hunting. I'm not at all interested in competition, just hunting deer sized animals and shooting steel out to 800 yards for practice.

My wife bought me a Remington 700 ADL in 7 rem mag for our wedding anniversary. I was pretty excited about it. She got it from Sportsmans Warehouse, it came with 26" barrel and junk cheap scope, rings, and bases. When I picked up the gun I bought a box of HSM 168 grain vld's and went shooting. While I got it on paper, it was pretty obvious that the scope wouldn't track, aiming at bulls eye and hitting 8 inches to the left and 4 inches high. (I had no expectations for the factory scope or rings.) So for the rest of the box I continued to aim for the same spot to see if I could get the gun to group. If I remember right it was shooting about an inch at 100 yards with the factory scope rings and bases.

I already have one piece Talley rings mounted and in a month or two I will be putting a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 on it. Next will be a Timney trigger. I'm pretty confident that the new and better rings and scope will improve my groups. If I can get sub moa groups with HSM 168 vld that is what I will shoot, if not I will load for it. Does anyone shoot this gun or have any reviews on it? Am I on the right track?

Thanks, Will

Yes I think you are on the right track, I would change bases mount and rings and get your scope as close to the barrel without touching it as I could, and save what ammo you have to do this again. I believe that the hsm ammo will shoot plenty good for what you are wanting to do I would give it a bore cleaning before your next round of sighting in. just my 2 cents hope this helps

I not so sure you'll see much improvement in group size with different rings and scope - but you might. A good trigger will help. You may also want to consider having the action pillar bedded in the stock or replacing the stock.

Really, getting a box stock Rem 700 ADL to group within 1moa is really as good as you should expect.

Thanks for the input so far. A Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stock will be added down the road. I just have to take one step at a time.

Well if your scope is not tracking properly it would need to be some where besides the top of my rifle! yes the trigger will be the most help even getting a TRUST WORTHY GUNSMITH to work on the existing trigger will help

Thanks for the input so far. A Bell & Carlson or HS Precision stock will be added down the road. I just have to take one step at a time.

when it comes to groups and accuracy the barrel is the most important. stock less .

Well if I can shoot minute of deer out to 600 or 700 yards I'll be happy. And if it comes down to it I will just rebarrel it. Atleast I have a good foundation action to build on if I want to.

Well if I can shoot minute of deer out to 600 or 700 yards I'll be happy. And if it comes down to it I will just rebarrel it. Atleast I have a good foundation action to build on if I want to.

I have the same gun your wife bought you. i did the stock floated the barrel, had a trigger job, put a 1 piece rail and good rings on it, with my loads it shoots far better than me out to 1000

Attachments

• 1025131351 (8).jpg
    1025131351 (8).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 128
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.