700 action not cocking when cycled?

Canhunter35

I had this happen on the weekend. I slammed a shell in and had nothing on my trigger. Looked, my firing pin is decocked, so I jacked a loaded shell out. Cocked another and fired.
When I got home I was able to recreate it by slamming the bolt closed.
This is a 700 action that has never had the barrel off it or any work done to it or the bolt. It has had a Calvin elite trigger installed in it for years.
I'm wondering what could cause this?

that was my thoughts too, not enough sear engagement, but I'd like to make sure before fiddling with it

I agree, absolutely not enough sear engagement. A simple fix. If you feel unsure of how to make the adjustment take it to a gunsmith . Should not take more than 15 min from start of taking the stock off , make adjustment , then stock back on.

I had this happen on the weekend. I slammed a shell in and had nothing on my trigger. Looked, my firing pin is decocked, so I jacked a loaded shell out. Cocked another and fired.
When I got home I was able to recreate it by slamming the bolt closed.
This is a 700 action that has never had the barrel off it or any work done to it or the bolt. It has had a Calvin elite trigger installed in it for years.
I'm wondering what could cause this?

Canhunter35,
I agree with the others (sear) you need to have that trigger weight and engagement brought up a little by a good gunsmith before putting another round in that chamber. Good luck.

Tagging in here. Should a M700 cock if you only lift the bolt up? I need to lift mine and pull bolt back an inch or it won't cock

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.