700.00 Stock Questions

.30 CAL

Well I ordered a stock from a major stock manufacturer and after getting the stock several weeks after what I was originally told, along with several run around stories as to why it was not ready my rifle does not fit. The rifle has a wyatts box magazine my invoice says inlet for wyatts box magazine but it was inletted for a standard magazine. The bottom metal does not fit it rubs on both sides of the trigger for 1 1/2 Inches. And the safety rubs on the inside where it was not opened up enough for the trigger. I put the rifle together without the box mag to see where it was rubbing and chipped paint off the stock where the bottom metal rubs. So my question is:

Should I send it back and have it corrected because for this price the rifle should fit?

Should I just dremel out the spots and let a company continue to make these types of mistakes?

Am I asking too much for the rifle to fit perfectly in an aftermarket stock of this price range?

This is the fourth stock I've purchased all from different company's one was over what I paid for this one and the other 2 were under 350.00 dollars. The 2 cheaper ones had zero issues it was drop in the barreled action and go. The other high dollar stock was a special order (I'm a lefty) and all they did was get a right handed stock and cut the slot for the bolt and did not inlet for a left handed trigger. I bit the bullet and dremeled that one out so my action would fit.

What would you do?

If it were me I would send it back, for 700 it had better be what I asked for. I would guess it will also depend on how soon you need the gun ready to go as I'm sure that if they took that long just to get it to you in the first place, they are going to be in no hurry to get it back either. I most definately at the very least would be making a phone call to someone in a position of importance at the company to explain POLITELY, the problem, my reaction to it and what I would like to have done to rectify the situation. Blowing up at the first person you talk to rarely gets you anywhere. Courtesy usually gets you at least the chance of being dealt with fairly. Hope it all works out in the end whatever you choose to do

if you are paying more than $200 for a drop-in stock and it doesnt drop-in its a no brainer for me. SEND IT BACK!!! These guys depend on customer satisfaction. they want you to like there stuff and Im sure that they'll be happy to send you a new one along with a bonus of some sort.

+1 on the politely

For that kind of money it should have zero problems/issues.

As with the other two, yes, be polite when you call. I can assure you it's the nicest guy with a complaint that's going to get his seen to first.

It can get tricky making a left hand stock conversion if one doesn't have a lefty rifle at hand to check the fit. This can be explained to the customer before though and a "what if" discussed. I have converted several of our stocks right to left and they have all fitted without being able to test before shipping but I couldn't guarantee a 100% fit.
edi

IMO, drop in better be just that for that kind of money. I had to do a little fitment on my B&C Medalist, but it's no $700. I'd be on the phone pronto, but being nice is a good way to go about it.

Tank

+1 on the $700 stock being drop in. Shouldn't they have asked him to send the barreled action, if the company wasn't confident on the fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.