70 Vld Berger bullet

Gary Morgan

I just wanted to post a little info and to thank Berger Bullets for making a fine product. I went to the range today with my new Brux barrel, 30-inch, 10-twist, four-groove, 224 caliber chambered in 22-6mm Remington. I was trying out a couple of bullets, the 68-grain BTHP from Hornady and the 70-grain VLD HP from Berger over H4831SC. Both bullets shot best with 47 to 48 grains of powder. I shot six groups with the Hornady that averaged .404 at 100 yards. Not bad but all groups but one was two in a hole and one out. When I shot the first group with the Bergers, I knew things were looking up. I shot three groups that averaged .201 and the smallest was .138. All nine groups were three-shot groups. I can't wait to try this little booger at 600 yards. 47.5 grains of H4831SC gave 3644 FPS. This will be a flat shooting round. I went up to 49 grains, but the groups started opening up as the velocity got over 3700 FPS. This is my first experience with Berger even though I have been reloading for 35 years. Something tells me that I will be looking into a lot more of their bullets.

Different barrels and totally different results.

I used the Berger 70 grain VLD in my Shilen 10 twist 24.5 inch barrel chambered for 22/250AI, and the accuracy was non existant. Although there were no keyholes on the 100 yard target, I got the impression that they were on the edge of not stabilising.

I was achieving velocities up to 3450 fps,(44.0 - 46.0/WMR) and straight after, I fired my standard field load of 46.0/WMR with the 69 grain Sierra (3410 fps) and got the usual sub 0.5 moa.

The Berger 70 grain VLD didn't work with my setup, but obviously it works brilliantly in your setup, so there is no reason to try anything else. Good luck with your 22/6mm. Brian.

Berger 70 VLD

Brian, I am curious when you got your Berger 70s because I have recently read on other forums where Berger went through a time where the ownership changed and the quality waned dismally. They are making supposedly much superior bullets now. I only bought mine last week.

Gary, I purchased the 70 grain VLD's back in 2000, and still have a few left, and will probably try them again when I rebarrel my 22/250AI with a faster twist.

I won't bother to try them in my .224 Clark as I know that 3800 fps with a 6.5 twist will disintegrate them before they get to the target.

It is probably due to the configuratioin of my rifles, but none of the few different Berger bullets that I have tried have either held together, or given good accuracy. Consequently I haven't bothered sourcing them in recent times. Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.