7 wsm

Jayhawk

Hey guys, total newbie here when it comes to a specialty handgun. I would like to either build or buy one in a 7 wsm. Was just wondering what my options are ....build on a xp100 or would a guy be able to do something off a savage action, whether it be a short or long action. I do have a left hand long action sitting around and I would be able to load the wsm really long. I am looking at loading the 162 Amax or 180 Berger. Not sure what velocities I would be reaching but will use this for longrange deer and antelope. Thanks a bunch guys!

The only way that you could legally build a pistol on your Savage action is for that action to have NEVER been a rifle. A raw action has to be designated as a pistol action when the action is bought on the forms. If you build a pistol on an action that has once been a rifle it will be called a sawed off rifle and that is illegal to have unless you have it registered through the BATF as a sawed off rifle and pay the tax etc. The same as owning a machine gun. You can get a raw action and have it designated as a pistol when bought and you will be OK. There are some on this forum that have done this and have some really nice pistols. 7mm WSM would be a good round but you would need a muzzle brake on it. It would be much easier and cheaper to build off a Savage action and change bolt heads etc. for any caliber you want than to use a Rem XP100 action. With the Savage action you can make a switch barrel set up easy. The possibilities are almost unlimited with the Savage action.

I've got one. I love it. with a 17.75" barrel it runs a 168smk @ 2850 fps. Muzzle brake is needed if you plan to use a rifle scope. I used the savage target action, and I have a Neal Cooper and a Joel Russo stock. It shoots unbelivably accuratly and is a cheaper route then a xp100...

Thanks guys, this forum is going to make me get a second job:). Zuba if you can post some closeup pictures I probably am going to go with the savage target action because I can't seem to find anything for sale on gunbroker in the xp. Thanks again!

ANY action that has NEVER been assembled as a rifle can be used for a pistol build. When you purchase a NEW action, Lawton, Stiller, Bat or any of the others, the FFL dealer that does the paper work SHOULD list the item as a reciever, not a rifle or a pistol. Then it is up to you what you do with it. BUT once a rifle ALWAYS a rifle, you can convert a pistol to a rifle but NOT the other way.
To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".
If the barrel is longer than 16" AND the overall length is 26" or more it is a rifle to the BATF, regardless of the type of stock you put on it.
If you have an XP 100 action with a 16 1/2" barrel and the overall length of 26 1/4" with a pistol stock on it, to the BATF it is a short stocked rifle. Which does NOT require any BATF stamp, BUT may or may not be regulated by your state or local Government.
This is the best explanation I can give from the research I have done.
Dave

I'd like to see where you found this 'To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".' I've never heard of there being a maximum length for anything on a pistol???

I'd like to see where you found this 'To be a pistol according to the BATF the barrel must be less than 16" and/OR the total length must be less than 26".' I've never heard of there being a maximum length for anything on a pistol???

Most of these discussions are about using rifle actions to make specialty pistols, a weapon manufactured as a pistol is a pistol until the barrel is longer than 16" AND the overall length is 26" or more, once both of those measurements are exceeded the BATF considers the weapon to be a rifle and returning it to a pistol would require a $200.00 fee (Stamp) from the BATF

Dave

ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms

Ultra-lighthunters-benchstock.jpg

!. Being a retired Police Officer pretty much dictates that I know the law and that I do not want to make mistakes as a private individual.

Years ago Jim Briggs of Northland Shooters Supply and myself researched and spoke intently with the legistlative branch of ATF regarding legally making a handgun.

AN action that has not been designated by a manufacturer must and may be designated at the point that one fills out the pretty yellow form. There are three selections on that form. 1. Action Only,2. Long Gun , 3 Handgun. If you check handgun then you can make any length barreled handgun you want and it is not subject to any overall minimums or Maximum lengths period.

Now if you put a shoulder stock on the handgun designated action you have forever more made that into a rifle. Once a rifle action whether you do the paperwork or not, it is always a rifle action. FACT: there is not a form or a fee available period, to convert a rifle action into a pistol action!! Not sure why someone would choose to go this route when one can purchase any number of undesignated actions to build whatever one wants.

The Savage is easily the least expensive and most versatile!

Neal

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.