7 WSM- world record group at 1 mile?

jrb243

Around 6 months ago I read on some forum site ( I forget which one) that someone set with a 7WSM won a 1000 yard competition in the Heavy Gun class with a savage barreled 11 pound gun chambered in 7wsm. He then went on to set a world record group of around 10" at a mile.

Sounds pretty incredible, I know. Anyone else hear about this? Or, anything close to this?

yep, heavily modified savage, but savage none the less...
If nobody posts the photo, ill do it in the morning
I think the "mile" record was actually 1680yds... in ohio?
Somebody fill in the blanks....

The person who shot the record was Tim Lambert from Minnesota and I beleive he shot the record in Iowa. At 1760yds he put 5 shots into 10.94"( I think it was .94, might have been .93, don't remember, less then 11" anyways).
Tim has shot here in Tucson in the winter months for the last 2 yr that I have been shooting 1000yd competition. Super guy and his modified Savage's just plain shoot great.
Wayne

Thanks for filling in the ???? wayne...
heres a couple of pics....
timlambertps.jpg

timlambertriflepic.jpg

Thanks for the response, guys. 10.94 inches at 1760 yards. That's impressive. I just bought a new Browning A-bolt "Mountain TI" (titanium) in 7mm WSM, so this story was of interest to me. Obviously I realize a factory, 5 and 1/2 pound gun won't even come close to the kind of accuracy we're discussing here, but I am at least excited that the round seems to be inherently accurate.

Is anyone else out there a fan of the 7mm wsm- or any of the other WSM's?

Have a 7mm WSM myself so this story always makes me smile . I hear that the neck is too short for the cartridge to be any good . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always love hearing about the short neck not letting you get good accuracy. The 300WM proved that was not an issue a decade ago. BUT, the urban legends of shooting continue.

I feel that the 7mm make ideal heavy gun rifles. You can now get very high BC bullets that are well made. You can launch these easily over 3000fps. In fact, 3300fps is not an issue.

That gives a real advantage when distances go beyond 1000yds. Increases the range before things go subsonic.

I am going to build a 6.5 Mystic (my design) in a light gun first. Then maybe a 7WSM in heavy.

Jerry

Is there any reason you can't take a 7mm RUM - put on a heavy 30" Lilja barrel, trigger job, accurized and get a good long range gun? Too bad Savage doesn't make a 7mm in RUM - used Savages are soooo cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any reason you can't take a 7mm RUM - put on a heavy 30" Lilja barrel, trigger job, accurized and get a good long range gun? Too bad Savage doesn't make a 7mm in RUM - used Savages are soooo cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Savage does not make one... but there are soooo many barrel makers doing it. ive seen two in 7RUM, one on a large shank barrel, one on a small shank barrel. if youre going to single shot it, any "standard" magnum action will work, and even the 06 action if you swap bolt heads.

Bullet was a 180 Berger at 3000....3200... somewhere in there...

abinok is correct on the bullet used. The velocity was 3025fps and was reported to be a pretty stiff load.
Wayne

I think I'll save my money for a used 300 RUM and have Kirby put a heavy Lilja 30" barrel on it, trigger job, Holland QD brake & accurize it. For deer, antelope, yotes out to 1000 yards I think the above combo would be hard to beat (considering cost).
I know the Kirby 7mm is hotter but my approach is cheaper and I like to pit Kirby against Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.