7 wsm powder of choice

Foster_65

i just got my custom finished up and am having a hard time getting less than inch groups consistantly. i got my best groups with rl 17. what are some of you guys running for powder in your shortmags, or what is a notoriously good powder for this caliber. thanks for the help

H1000 and RE-25 are both very good and fast. 4831sc is a little slower but has been the accuracy leader for some.

Don't know what Burn Rate chart you have, but if it says 4831sc is SLOWER that H1000 or RL25 you need to throw it away before you blow your self up!!!!!!
Please be careful
Dave

I am using RL25 with 180 gr Bergers

I think the statement that was made on the 4831 was meant that the speeds were a little slower not powder burn rate. Not for sure but that's the way I took it.

Nathan

H4831sc for my short mags shooting 168+180 vld. Have tried RL17, 22, 25 and a few others but get lower SD and ES with 4831. Only stating what works for me past 600 yards, no idea at what they do at closer ranges.

yes i am shooting the 168 bergers right now. this was the first day with the new rifle and it is built on a short action so my seating depth is limited due to mag length. i have a 24 in tube also. will these slower burning powders still work with this combo. i did try rl 22, 4350, viht 165. all shot well (about an inch) just nothing really stood out. i did shoot a 5/8 inch group right a way, but the dummy that i am, i didnt check to make sure they would fit down in the mag. i thought i was short enough. when i bumped them back my group opened up. it was so close, the tip pf the bullet just bairly touched the mag, but was just enough to not work smoothly. i am hearing alot about this h 1000, i think i will give that a shot. thanks guys. any more advice on what you guys are doing, esp in a short action where case lenght is limited. or any other bullet power combos with a short action

i just got my custom finished up and am having a hard time getting less than inch groups consistantly. i got my best groups with rl 17. what are some of you guys running for powder in your shortmags, or what is a notoriously good powder for this caliber. thanks for the help

MagPro really interests me right now, and it was designed just for the WSM family. I have a couple bottle ordered, but will use them in something else.
gary

I don't get too obsessive with 100yd groups when developing loads with the heavy for caliber VLD bullets. I have experienced several rifle and load combinations that produced average 100yd groups but proved to be solid SUB MOA performers at 1000yds. Some of these rifles were good for super small 100yd groups with lighter bullets that I just could not seem to match pushing the big VLD's.

I focus on getting the velocity, ES, and SD to where I'm happy with "good" 100yd groups and take her to the 1000yd line and see what I've really got cooking.

If I was going to compete in a 100yd high power shooting event, pushing a big *** VLD at redline would be my last choice. Stretch it out to 600yds+ and those VLD's will put a smile on your face.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.