7 wsm or 7 rem mag

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
I am another fan for the 7 SAUM. I know you haven't listed it, but the extra case capacity and powder needed for the WSM doesn't get you much. The 7 SAUM is one of the most accurate hunting rounds made. That and the 300 WSM are about the only "hunting" rounds that guys are winning F-class with. I have one that shots 180's at 2930 with ease and very accurate 24" barrel. You could run up around 3K with a 26" barrel.

My bad I meant Hornady is making brass but it's probably not the best. Bertram is stout, it needs weight sorted tho. 100 good cases will probably out last the barrel. A guy tested one piece of their 300 norma to 25 stiff loads before it failed. Have you considered 7 saum? ADG is going to have brass on market soon, it'll run withiw 50fps of 7mag when set up properly.
I've got an over-supply of new Winchester brass and a new Bartlein bbl in 7WSM so nothing will be changing for the next 1,000 rds or so. Even then, I might be incline to rebarrel in 7WSM which seems quite capable of duplicating 7 Rem mag ballistics in a short action. Accuracy in my rifle has been exceptional.

Our latest 7 WSM project may have turned out to be the most accurate hunting rifle I have had the privilege to shoot. I only have it pushing the 195 EOLs to 2900 but they land in one hole. It is a model 70 with a Bartlein 26" #3 barrel and it is delivering over 1600 ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards.

Our latest 7 WSM project may have turned out to be the most accurate hunting rifle I have had the privilege to shoot. I only have it pushing the 195 EOLs to 2900 but they land in one hole. It is a model 70 with a Bartlein 26" #3 barrel and it is delivering over 1600 ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards.
Thanks for the feedback,
Have you tried the hornady brass?
How about rl26?
I just put a load together with rl26 and the 180 eld-m in my 7×300wsm.
Easily reached 3000 fps, 1/2" group at 200 yards

Sounds great for target shooting but I'm wanting to drive the 180's at least 3000 FPS for elk.
They can hit 3000 with 162s in 22" barrels, I would think with a 26" stick 3000 is doable with a 180 class bulle or just under), just depends on where the accuracy node is though ..top loads of RE17 are 55-56 grains for max speed

They will hit 3100 with 180s in longer 30" barrels but that's pretty long for a hunting rig

There are better options for top speeds, but the 284 class are nice due to "short action" chassis and standard 308 bolt face dimensions, can keep weight down a bit with those actions over magnums

Thanks for the feedback,
Have you tried the hornady brass?
How about rl26?
I just put a load together with rl26 and the 180 eld-m in my 7×300wsm.
Easily reached 3000 fps, 1/2" group at 200 yards
These are being fired from new Winchester brass because I had a bag laying around from a couple of years ago. I am using Retumbo but RL26 should work well. There is a lot of bad press on Hornady brass but everything I have purchased over the past year or so has been great. I have some PRCs and 7mm mags with 6 shot on them and primer pockets are still like new.
7mm WSM is a great round and the 180s at 3000 within 1/4 MOA is golden.

I'd go with the 7wsm. It will be more efficient than the 7rm. Although either one will work well for anything in North America. I'd rather go 30 cal than 284 but that's my opinion.

I have a 24" barrel on my 7WSM. I'm using RL-26 and 180 VLDs getting @3050 fps. My son used it this week to take a Mt Whitetail doe at 435. He said it was very impressive.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts