7 wsm in S/A?

Would you take a .670 @ 2880 or .770 @ 2720?
Here's what I would do,

if the .770 shoots better than the .670 that's what I would run with. If the .670 is better then I would use that. If they shoot equally Well then I would run the numbers on each load and decide if they will carry enough velocity to expand at my maximum hunting range. I'd load A makes it to my desired range then I go with that. If all things are equal I usually go with the bullet with a higher sectional density and typically corresponding higher BC.

I currently have a 7 SAUM in a custom MPA rifle, 1:9 twist CA 24" barrel. It's built on a short action with wyatts extended mag box. This allows me to seat bullets out to 2.990". Does great with the 162 eldm at 2900

I'm thinking when I need a new barrel next year, to upgrade the performance a bit to shoot the heavier 180 eldm or 184 Berger or even the 195 eol. I will need a 1:8 twist and was considering changing the chambering to a 7wsm to get the extra powder to push them easily to 2900-2950?

I know of the 7 Sherman Short as well may do that but not sure if I'm ready to go wildcat, plus the WSM in theory holds more powder anyway.

for those who know will the 2.990" coal give me enough room in the WSM case? Will that be a step up from the SAUM case for the heavies?
Curious what you decided.

I finished my 7WSM recently and don't regret my decision on the WSM thus far. Only tested 162s with RL26 but have been more than impressed. Velocity has exceeded expectations and I'm guessing once I get 175eldx in I'll be happy with them as well. Will be aiming for 3050fps with the 175s. I'm seated to 2.925" with the 162s which puts me .015" off the lands. I'm guessing the 175s will be a bit longer (maybe 2.945" or so) with the same land spacing. Have enough room in the mag for that so no issue. My 162s BT is at the shoulder, case junction right about. Probably about .25" deeper than the saum picture posted. Personally don't care if the velocity and accuracy is there.

Haven't decided yet! I'm still working on shooting out this barrel, but life gets in the way. I am still leaning towards the 7 wsm with the new barrel....

interested in your results as well if you make the switch. currently running a 7 SAUM myself out of a 22" shooting 150gn e-tips at 2950fps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.