7 wsm brass

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Levi, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

Can anybody help me find some brass for the 7 wsm? I have been looking for six months, but to no avail...getting frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Levi

2. 21buck

21buck Well-Known Member

Sure do have 99 new brass. Hbt for 270wsm
    21buck

3. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

Is the brass that you have stamped 7 wsm? If so, would you be willing to sell me it? The 270wsm has different case dimensions.

Levi

4. 21buck

21buck Well-Known Member

Levi,
    The new unfired 7wsm stamped. It has to be found in my stuff after moving. I would prefer to getting new 270 wsm brass and trade, Other wise I will have to wait to find some myself. Price is another section for discussion.

21buck

5. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I use Norma 270 or 300wsm brass in my 7mm. It's a very simple fireform. Much better quality than any other brass.

Here's the extent of the fireform. Note the placement of the false shoulder compared to the formed brass. I ran my fireforming loads at full strength and got better than acceptable accuracy.

[​IMG]

6. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

How do you do that ? I'm running low on 7wsm brass

7. egb243

egb243 Member

Another option is to buy loaded ammunition -- it can be found , and at $30.00 for 20 rounds of Federal it is cheaper than buying Hornady or Norma brass. Then either shoot it or pull the bullets and re-load. Headstamps will be correct that way.

8. HuntFarther

HuntFarther Well-Known Member

You just resize the brass to where the neck is only being sized down to hold a bullet and barely allow the bolt to drop. If you resize the whole neck the game is over.

9. Iron Worker

What about using 270 WSM ?

10. HuntFarther

HuntFarther Well-Known Member

I was thinking I was talking about the 300. If I was going to use 270 I would size up to 7mm then to 300 and back to 7mm. You could try to go straight to 30 cal not sure if it would be to big of a jump or not. I would only want to do 300 wsm

11. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Yep, just like Huntfarther said. Neck down 300 brass, or neck up 270 to 300 then back down.

When you're setting up the false shoulder you're using your 7mmWSM FL die turned out a couple turns. Keep sizing down the neck until you can just close the bolt with some resistance. Then, you're ready for primer, powder, and bullet.

Like I said, I've gotten very good accuracy and velocity even when fire forming.

12. Iron Worker

Thanks very helpful