7 STW with VV 570

Why Vit?? I get it that they are pretty good-- I have some 540 and 550 on the shelf. I'd go to rl25, rl33, or retumbo though with the 7stw. Heck of a lot cheaper powder that will do as well or better than the Vit.

same reason, i have 4 lbs of it. i heard some say it was what he used for his long distance 7 STW

same reason, i have 4 lbs of it. i heard some say it was what he used for his long distance 7 STW
if you can't find data give me a yell back; I think I have some data that has 7rem loads in it. They (the 7rem loads) usually make good starting loads in a 7 stw.

IMO Vit N570 is the powder to use in the STW. I am shooting 168 Bergers on 81.5grs of it. Have loaded for a bunch of STW's with Vit N570. It has always been most accurate and best performing for me.

That sounds like a mild load another guy shoots that shoots the 180 bergers with that same 81.5 grains. what velocity are you getting with the 168.

That sounds like a mild load another guy shoots that shoots the 180 bergers with that same 81.5 grains. what velocity are you getting with the 168.

I am getting 3300 out of 168's. This is a milder load but it was the most accurate in my gun. I have gotten real close to 3300 out of 180's in other STW's.

Another reason is I have a scope with a custom reticle designed for .617BC at 3285fps. with lines to 800yards

jbroadnax:

Where did you find the data you posted for the 7mm STW using VV570. I do not have a VihtaVuori reloading manual. There is a gun show in Albuquerque this weekend, and might pick up some VV570. Thanks.

I got the info from friends at Mcwhorter rifles. N570 was specifially designed for overbore cartridges so it is great in the 7 ultra. 300 ultra, stw, and others.

3300 fps with a 180 class is **** stout for a 7stw; you must be using a loooong barrel to get there. I have seen 3100 fps or so with that weight range and that's it with 24-26" pipes.

my new one is mcwhorter 7 STW making load with 180. i will try the 168 load in my other one
thanks

Sorry I cant help with any loads as I only shoot a 7mm WSM. I was wondering if any of you shooting these 180s at very high velocities have had them start to blow apart from high rotational speeds? If so, what sort of speed and twist rate did they start to blow apart at?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts