7 SS scores another F-Class win

elkaholic

This was from a client and copied from a FB post.

Here is what it says for those who cant read it

Needing to fire form 100 more cases for two upcoming f-class state championship matches, I decided to develope a good fire forming load with my chosen match bullet, the 190 A-tip. I decided on a load with 59.9 grains of N165 with the 190 jumping at . 033" and . 001" neck tension. The load shot . 85" at 300 yards for 5 shots at 300 yds so I knew it would be competitive if I had no wild shots due to new cases. I was able to shoot a 594-25x score to win and set a new range record. I am excited to fully develope this case loaded in fully formed cases. Rich, you and Big Green have hit one out of the ball park with this chambering!

BTW. he missed a previous range record by 1 pt in a recent match the first time out with this rifle with the barrel speeding up. I'd say it has some potential🙂

This was from a client and copied from a FB post.

Here is what it says for those who cant read it

Needing to fire form 100 more cases for two upcoming f-class state championship matches, I decided to develope a good fire forming load with my chosen match bullet, the 190 A-tip. I decided on a load with 59.9 grains of N165 with the 190 jumping at . 033" and . 001" neck tension. The load shot . 85" at 300 yards for 5 shots at 300 yds so I knew it would be competitive if I had no wild shots due to new cases. I was able to shoot a 594-25x score to win and set a new range record. I am excited to fully develope this case loaded in fully formed cases. Rich, you and Big Green have hit one out of the ball park with this chambering!

BTW. he missed a previous range record by 1 pt in a recent match the first time out with this rifle with the barrel speeding up. I'd say it has some potential🙂
I wonder how fast he was pushing the 190. I think I'm going to give the 190 a try in my 7ss when I get it put together.

I wonder how fast he was pushing the 190. I think I'm going to give the 190 a try in my 7ss when I get it put together.
I run them at a modest 2800fps/30" barrel. I, along with a team mate, just won the LA state 600yd team A couple of weeks back. I used the 190 Atips and beat dashers/.300 short mags with some top shooters. We just won the Texas State Long Range 4 man team championship shooting at landfall of hurricane Delta in 20-30 gusting 40's. In those winds, fortunately from 11:30-1:00 in direction, the holdoffs were significantly tighter than my teammate's .30 short mags with 215 Bergers. Was in the in the 5 way tie for the win in individuals Coming into the last day their either I, or my load, lost tune and I finished 7th but was tied for second highest X count so the 7 SS with the long heavies is a definite contender in long range precision target shooting. BTW...the ADG brass is easily as good a Lapua and RWS if not better. H1000 and N165 are great powders for this case with heavy bullets.

I run them at a modest 2800fps/30" barrel. I, along with a team mate, just won the LA state 600yd team A couple of weeks back. I used the 190 Atips and beat dashers/.300 short mags with some top shooters. We just won the Texas State Long Range 4 man team championship shooting at landfall of hurricane Delta in 20-30 gusting 40's. In those winds, fortunately from 11:30-1:00 in direction, the holdoffs were significantly tighter than my teammate's .30 short mags with 215 Bergers. Was in the in the 5 way tie for the win in individuals Coming into the last day their either I, or my load, lost tune and I finished 7th but was tied for second highest X count so the 7 SS with the long heavies is a definite contender in long range precision target shooting. BTW...the ADG brass is easily as good a Lapua and RWS if not better. H1000 and N165 are great powders for this case with heavy bullets.
That's awesome! What twist are you running with the 190s? Mine is going to be 8 twist. I really wanted 8.5 but 8 was what was on the shelf. I'm with you on the adg brass. I've load it in 6.5 saum & it's my new favorite brass. I like it better than lapua also.

Way to go Robin!!
Youve been tearing it uo with the ss👍

I'm running them in an 8.25 twist. They definitely are stable and I shoot at ranges near sea level often. That being said I will use an 8tw for my next two barrels only because the barrel maker won't make fractional rate barrels. The current barrels are Bartlein's but I wanted to test Schneider's with this bullet to try for a faster node with a similar charge weight (his barrels give more speed due to the rifling type).

The barrel I bought is a benchmark. I believe they told me it's a 5 groove. I believe their only other standard option in 7mm 8 twist is a 6 groove.

I saw two fellows on Accurate shooter that each shot a 300wsm & a 7mm saum in f-open. One fellow said the 215 Berger was an moa inside of wind drift to compared to his 7mm 180. I assume they were Berger's. The other fellow said they were really close but the 215 just barely beat the 180. After seeing your post, I think it's confirmed that the 190 atip will edge out the 215 in drift. I know that the both 7mm 180 & 190 certainly wins when calculated on paper.

Yes DJ, the 190 Atip on paper and in match conditions does edge out the 215 Berger at the usual competition speed of 2820-2850 fps by a nearly 3/4 minute in a 10mph/full value wind. I had not realized the advantage until shooting in high value winds like we had on Friday ahead of the storm. My working assumption in building a rifle around this bullet proved valid. Here is a target from the team match when the winds were starting to get 16-22/gusts 30...the 2nd of 3 matches (X ring is .5 MOA and 10 ring is 1 MOA, or approx. 5 and 10" respectively. The '9' at 7:30 was me releasing the shot before I was ready:rolleyes::

IMG_0493.PNG

Last edited:
BTW...I shoot this ADG 7 SS brass right out of the box...NO neck turning, NO touching the flash hole or primer pocket, NO sorting in any fashion other than segregating the rounds based on seating pressures. In this loading of 250 rounds I annealed them this cycle and we had only 3 that were put in the 'fouler' row in the ammo box for seating a little softer or harder than the rest. This ADG brass and the long neck design of the & SS is phenomenal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.