7 SAUM with H4350 (or WSM or 284...)

JakeC

Does anyone have experience pushing 168, 175 or 180 grain slugs with H4350? I know it's not ideal. But I also know that for some reason it's not as valuable right now in my area and people are selling it locally for semi-reasonable money. I've been looking for h4831 but it's dried up around here and climbing in price. h1000 is available suddenly but at 70+/pound. There's a little data floating around but was just looking for any firsthand experience. One plus is that I'm loading to mag length so with the projectiles so far in that case I won't be running around with as much empty space. I'm also not chasing max velocity, I'm chasing the rumored easy efficiency and accuracy of the SAUM.

Anyway I haven't loaded anything yet but kind of want to make sure I have 1000 rounds worth before I settle on loads. Right now I'm at about 300 and I don't feel great about that. Thanks for any input.

(at less than half the going rate of mag powders my assumption is a lot of 6.5 shooter hoarded it and never imagined they'd be shorter on pills than the magic creedmoor dust.)

I forgot some other relevant information:

24 inch barrel
2.96 COAL with .03- to .08 jump
ADG/Gunwerks brass (very thick brass, lower volume case.)

If it matters.

There's not a ton of anecdotal info out there but what there is indicates that real results can be much better than the published data. I should probably just invest and be done with the worrying. I've never heard an ill word spoken about H4350.

H-4350 will work aweosme in a 7 saum. Especially with a short action and a 168. A friend shoots it in a long action saum with 180 hybrids and 26" barrel. 2900 FPS. Showed me a 600 yard group with 3 in about 1" and one shot that made it 1.7". 210 primers. I bet it would produce some very accurate 168 vld loads.

H-4350 will work aweosme in a 7 saum. Especially with a short action and a 168. A friend shoots it in a long action saum with 180 hybrids and 26" barrel. 2900 FPS. Showed me a 600 yard group with 3 in about 1" and one shot that made it 1.7". 210 primers. I bet it would produce some very accurate 168 vld loads.
I forgot to add that I'm using 210 primers too so that's good to hear. Theoretically slowing down the faster powder, maybe. The 168s I found are Accubond LR and I'm pretty excited about that weight.

Any idea how his barrel life is shoving the 180 with the faster powder? I've heard some say it's harder, but I'm planning on using the warmer side of mild, not full to the gills.

Very interested as well. I'm building a 20 inch 7 saum now.

I feel it will be great for accuracy, low ES and temp stability.

Rich Sherman tells me it will be slower velocity wise than any of the other popular powders for a short mag. That may be true but I have 8 pounds bought when it was the hot topic for 65 creeds.

I have 4 pounds of H1k which is reserved for my 30 nosler. Working a deal now that may get me another 8 but it's a few weeks out.

Last edited:
Very interested as well. I'm building a 20 inch 7 saum now.

I feel it will be great for accuracy, low ES and temp stability.

Rich Sherman tells me it will be slower velocity wise than any of the other popular powders for a short mag. That may be true but I have 8 pounds bought when it was the hot topic for 65 creeds.

I have 4 pounds of H1k which is reserved for my 30 nosler. Working a deal now that may get me another 8 but it's a few weeks out.
Yeah I don't mind it being a little slower as long as I can get good ES. I'm building it for what it is, to have a moderate 7mm, not because I couldn't find a rem mag. That would have been a lot easier and cheaper, people were giving them away around New Years.

Keeps the bullet where it's supposed to be. 168's kill better than 180's. 180's won't overtake the 168's tell about 700 yards.