7 SAUM or 7 WSM?

My WSM's barrel has settled in on speed. Had great results so far and happy with my choice. Ran the 175 eldx up to 3050 prior to pressure. Working at 3000fps and getting some solid 1/4" groups. Found pressure at 3200 fps with the 162eldx with similar groups. 23" barrel in a savage SA 2.96" OAL w/RL26.

Sort of went through the same discussion. Then I found the Sherm Max and going with it. Just an improvement over the SAUM. I'll be building it off a Tikka action.
I'm thinking of building a Max off of my Tikka. How did yours turn out. Is there anything you would recommend doing differently if I go that route?

I built a 7wsm on a 700 short action. It shoots great, but I'm thinking I should have gone a different route. My COAL is 2.9xx in order to reach the lands, which is way too long to mag feed. I wouldn't want a shorter coal anyway, because then way too much of my 180eldm would be in the case. The ogive would be in the neck of the brass anywhere near saami spec coal.

Maybe I should have used a long action, but then that opens up so many more chamber options...
Sometimes I think I should have just built a 7 rem mag.

I built a 7wsm on a 700 short action. It shoots great, but I'm thinking I should have gone a different route. My COAL is 2.9xx in order to reach the lands, which is way too long to mag feed. I wouldn't want a shorter coal anyway, because then way too much of my 180eldm would be in the case. The ogive would be in the neck of the brass anywhere near saami spec coal.

Maybe I should have used a long action, but then that opens up so many more chamber options...
Sometimes I think I should have just built a 7 rem mag.
You could swap out to a bdl and use the Wyatt's 3.235" box.
Hawkins make M5 style Oberndorf

You could swap out to a bdl and use the Wyatt's 3.235" box.
Hawkins make M5 style Oberndorf

Very interesting.
I'm currently using remingtons factory bdl bottom metal in my HS precision stock. Do you know if the Wyatts box will fit? Do I need to make modifications to my stock or receiver?

Very interesting.
I'm currently using remingtons factory bdl bottom metal in my HS precision stock. Do you know if the Wyatts box will fit? Do I need to make modifications to my stock or receiver?
Ok, did a quick search. It looks like the receiver needs to be milled.

I just realized this was an older post. I wonder if the OP already made his decision?

As far as my rifle, I'll just use it as a single feed for now. Don't really feel like messing with the receiver.

I'm thinking of building a Max off of my Tikka. How did yours turn out. Is there anything you would recommend doing differently if I go that route?
Man. That was a long time ago. The short version is, I changed what I was going to buy about a thousand times since then.

I ended up going full custom and getting a Defiance anTi in a long action.

If you want the full build, let me know. I think guys have done the Tikka action. On FB there's a Sherman group where guys post their builds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.