7 SAUM load data

Yeah, definitely stuck with saami specs! Have some 162 ELD-X I want to try. Elk, and like to get within 100yds to hunt and not just kill at a long distance, but want to know it will shoot decently tight groups at long ranges in case of a bad hit and need to put down. Any pet loads would be appreciated for sake of time and component savings!

I run H1000 @ 65.0 grains with the Hornady 162 ELDX (not a max load in my gun; could be in yours). OAL is at 3.175".

My freebore is 0.140", 1:9" twist Bartlein 5R barrel.

Shoots 1/2 MOA. So far I've only killed one deer with this load but it worked to perfection. Double shoulder shot with a quarter sized exit hole and DRT. Shot was only 72 yards.

Yeah, definitely stuck with saami specs! Have some 162 ELD-X I want to try. Elk, and like to get within 100yds to hunt and not just kill at a long distance, but want to know it will shoot decently tight groups at long ranges in case of a bad hit and need to put down. Any pet loads would be appreciated for sake of time and component savings!
Those should work well also I'd recommend swift sciroccos they are 150 grainers but are bonded. I've had them give me consistent groups at book max length and run them right at 3000fps in a 24" barrel so 2925-2950 should be easily attained with the 22" barrel.

My hunting rifle is on a short action. I run 59.5 grs of Rl 23, br-2, Norma brass and the 162 eld-x .020 off the lands. Velocity is 3030 FPS. Have shot 1/2 Moa out to 900 yds on steel. Killed several white tails and a couple pronghorn out to 600 yards with good performance. My other saum is on a long action Bighorn. Shooting the 180 hybrid, br-2, 63 grs of h 1000 in Norma brass. Runs right at 2930 FPS. Have shot this load all the way out to 1700 yds. First time we shot at that distance I hit 3 out of 4 shots on a full size ipsc.

I have a Remington mod 7 with a 22" 9.25 twist barrel. Anyone have suggestions for that one?
I have the exact Rem mod 7 22" and have a great, nothing fancy load of Sierra 160 HPBT GameKing with Hybrid 100v loaded mag length @ 2900.
I also have a load of 168 ABLR with R-23 loaded SA mag length of 2.840" COAL.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the temperature stability of N560 in the 7 saum? @Longtine88 thoughts?

I know N565 is extremely stable. Getting ready to start testing N560 in the 7 saum and curious what you guys have found. Thanks!! 🤙🏽

It is not temp stable. I know from experience. I will say this it is not as bad as RL26 though. I found after that being said if I kept shooting in normal hunting temps that I didn't have much of an issue. But if you develop your load in low temp conditions and shot it like mid 90's you will notice it. So I generally don't push it too much with the powder. It would not be my powder of choice for summer time target shooting I will say that. Good side is it's a great powder for the saum. It makes small es/sd loads I have numerous loads with it that we hunt with. I use it behind 180's often. It has generous powder nodes. With a 24" barrel there is a node around the 2900-2930 mark that is awesome node to be in.

It is not temp stable. I know from experience. I will say this it is not as bad as RL26 though. I found after that being said if I kept shooting in normal hunting temps that I didn't have much of an issue. But if you develop your load in cow temp conditions and shot it like mid 90's you will notice it. So I generally don't push it too much with the powder. It would not be my powder of choice for summer time target shooting I will say that. Good side is it's a great powder for the saum. It makes small es/sd loads I have numerous loads with it that we hunt with. I use it behind 180's often. It has generous powder nodes. With a 24" barrel there is a node around the 2900-2930 mark that is awesome node to be in.

Excellent feedback, thanks sir!!

I have a 22" barreled 7 saum on a medium action.

With N560 I'm going to start with 175 elite hunters. Maybe try 180 hybrids too if it doesn't like 175's.

Starting with ADG brass & CCI250's. See how it goes. I've noticed on here consistently that the federal 210M's are getting best results. Start with what I have!

I'm sitting at close to 120rds down my barrel so going off full break-in coming in next 80rds I definitely need to find some N565 to compare to H1000 & also try some BR2s cause I have a bunch. Been using 215m so far so it would be good for my personal data. ThankYou Longtine88 for sharing your intel on the 7saum. You have been a huge help for me with all your postings on this forum…..
I am in the process of load development 184-f and used h4831sc, N560, N565, H1000
I tried posting but didn't turn out like I wanted. Still you Might find some interesting information.

Excellent feedback, thanks sir!!

I have a 22" barreled 7 saum on a medium action.

With N560 I'm going to start with 175 elite hunters. Maybe try 180 hybrids too if it doesn't like 175's.

Starting with ADG brass & CCI250's. See how it goes. I've noticed on here consistently that the federal 210M's are getting best results. Start with what I have!
I am in the process of load development 184-f and used h4831sc, N560, N565, H1000
I tried posting but didn't turn out like I wanted. Still you Might find some interesting information.

Longtine88

Was it you that posted great results with N560 and 180 Hybrid out of Proof barrels?
If not, sorry.
I can't remember who but I recall an avatar of similar color.