7 SAUM load data

chutinlead

Just found this and am putting together a 7 SAUM on a tikka LA so COAL isn't an issue. Do any of you run the heavies like the berger EOL 195gr in ADG brass? I would like to run RL23, but I do have a little 4831SC I could use too. Looking at lengths I should be around a 3.150" COAL with that bullet.

Longtine88

LRH Team Member
Just found this and am putting together a 7 SAUM on a tikka LA so COAL isn't an issue. Do any of you run the heavies like the berger EOL 195gr in ADG brass? I would like to run RL23, but I do have a little 4831SC I could use too. Looking at lengths I should be around a 3.150" COAL with that bullet.
Mine would not stabilize them very well in my lower altitude. But I did get an COAL for them in mine and it touches lands at 3.134”.

chutinlead

Mine would not stabilize them very well in my lower altitude. But I did get an COAL for them in mine and it touches lands at 3.134”.
I went with a 1-8 Twist barrel and I live and hunt around 4500ft here in WY. Probably take this on an Elk hunt if I draw up above 8000 so hopefully it stabilizes. Was that a standard reamer?

naja302

I’m gonna build a heavy gun on a medium action tag is something like 3.2” OAL.

what free bore do I need to allow me to seat Bullets this long? I’m thinking hornady or Berger 180’s

I have several on short actions and don’t get anywhere near the velocities listed on this thread

chutinlead

what free bore do I need to allow me to seat Bullets this long? I’m thinking hornady or Berger 180’s

I have several on short actions and don’t get anywhere near the velocities listed on this thread
I was told to make up dummy rounds and tell the gunsmith how much freebore I wanted.

ridgeline300

There is info all over the internet about this... I think my freebore is .21 in my long action, most guys do .180. The .180 would put the boat tail right at the neck/shoulder junction where you want it and still leave room in the mag to chase the lands.

this is what I understand and would recommend but others may jump in.

ridgeline300

Circling back to this one... think i finally found what the gun likes. The 2 groups #10 and #11 are with the 184 hybrid. The single group #2 is the 175. The ES is so low on the 184 and it seems forgiving in that node so i am going to run that for a while. Not quite the speed i was hoping for but I’ll take that consistency. 22” barrel

Attachments

• DAD14772-0B10-4218-9DCE-B0866AD00ED4.jpeg
    DAD14772-0B10-4218-9DCE-B0866AD00ED4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • CAA1F10E-691D-4235-916E-8DFD5B8CD72B.jpeg
    CAA1F10E-691D-4235-916E-8DFD5B8CD72B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

D$tring

Circling back to this one... think i finally found what the gun likes. The 2 groups #10 and #11 are with the 184 hybrid. The single group #2 is the 175. The ES is so low on the 184 and it seems forgiving in that node so i am going to run that for a while. Not quite the speed i was hoping for but I’ll take that consistency. 22” barrel
That looks pretty dang good to me! I love forgiving nodes. Do you have enough rounds through your barrel that it has leveled off? Or is it still gaining some speed? 2800ish isn’t bad for that heavy of a bullet. 2900+ was what I am hoping for with mine but for groups like that, with a tight ES/SD, a loss of 100fps is totally worth it.

ridgeline300

That looks pretty dang good to me! I love forgiving nodes. Do you have enough rounds through your barrel that it has leveled off? Or is it still gaining some speed? 2800ish isn’t bad for that heavy of a bullet. 2900+ was what I am hoping for with mine but for groups like that, with a tight ES/SD, a loss of 100fps is totally worth it.
I have about 100 rounds through the barrel so I think it has leveled out. This barrel only sped up maybe 30 FPS so maybe it will still increase but seems like it usually plains out after 100. I could maybe squeeze another 50 FPS out of it but it would be towards the top end of pressure. Even though I love extra speed, I think this will do!

PowellSixO

I have about 100 rounds through the barrel so I think it has leveled out. This barrel only sped up maybe 30 FPS so maybe it will still increase but seems like it usually plains out after 100. I could maybe squeeze another 50 FPS out of it but it would be towards the top end of pressure. Even though I love extra speed, I think this will do!
I’ll take accuracy over speed any day.

Recent Posts