7 saum load data for 162 & 175 eldx

Vol1975

Will be switching barrels on a rifle in the near future converting it to a 7saum. I am gathering information on load data for 162 & 175 eldx. Any help on data or load information on those bullets and below powders would be appreciate. Please if you would list loads and speed and any nodes that you found. I will of course work up my loads checking pressure signs.

this is for a hunting gun and I will not have a break or silencer. I am looking for accuracy with a large node. This is going to be my primary hunting gun from ranges out to 600 max. Realistic most shots below 400 yards.
powder I will be potential using
H1000, r26, h4350, h4841sc
primers will either be federal or CCI. Large or magnum.

JGS custom reamer. Throated with .208 freebore. Seated for the 175 eldx with .005 ths off the lands. 162 eldx is I think .020 off the lands

Brass is ADG
tw is either 8 or 8.5
barrel length is 22
tikka action

I have already done research on what people run in this but I wanted to ask the forum.
thanks

Last edited:
This should get you started.

Attachments

• 7 SAUM Hornady 162 ELDX H1000.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 772
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 162 ELDX RL26.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 162 ELDX H4350.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 405
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 162 ELDX H4831 SC.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 175 ELDX H1000.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 457
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 175 ELDX RL26.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 175 ELDX H4350.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 7 SAUM Hornady 175 ELDX H4831 SC.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 357
Good stuff. Thanks alot. Good starting point.
Good starting point for sure, but your coals will be significantly longer than the 2.825" in the above data. So your max loads will more than likely be a few-several grains higher.
Good thing about the tikka action is you can basically load them as Long as you need to!

Good starting point for sure, but your coals will be significantly longer than the 2.825" in the above data. So your max loads will more than likely be a few-several grains higher.
Good thing about the tikka action is you can basically load them as Long as you need to!
Good point. the Tikka magnum action seems to be a really nice set up for the saum. i Feel the saum is a quietly keep secret that really is a nice set up for hunting. Shame that ammo manufactors don't produce this ammo more.

with the longer COL it should push the bullet a little faster and maximize the saum potential in the 162 & 175.

thanks. Just trying to gather information on what loads & powder people have found to be a standard.

Good point. the Tikka magnum action seems to be a really nice set up for the saum. i Feel the saum is a quietly keep secret that really is a nice set up for hunting. Shame that ammo manufactors don't produce this ammo more.

with the longer COL it should push the bullet a little faster and maximize the saum potential in the 162 & 175.

thanks. Just trying to gather information on what loads & powder people have found to be a standard.
You are exactly right.
Tikka is an excellent choice for a saum, they are light, feed perfectly and allow for the longer OAL rounds without the weight/length penalty.
My Tikka 7saum is under 8lbs scoped and shoots lights out to 800yds. It is a pure backcountry hunting rifle for me.
Just for a reference, I shoot Berger 180 hybrids with 64gr of H1000 and ADG brass. I have a Saami chamber and my OAL is over 3"
With your longer freebore you could very well be over 3.1" with the 175s. That leaves a lot of room for powder!

Attachments

• 6DB3F479-BB76-4EE4-A946-2EC4C1781E6F.jpeg
    6DB3F479-BB76-4EE4-A946-2EC4C1781E6F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
i Feel the saum is a quietly keep secret that really is a nice set up for hunting. Shame that ammo manufactors don't produce this ammo more.
It might very well be, but ammunition manufacturers will not supply until enough demand is worth the risk/investment, esp. in today's economy. And if you managed to see factory ammo, they are very pricey. IIRC, the one I saw was a Remington SP (I do not remember the bullet weight); it was going for $95 for a box of 20.

Last edited:
I load 59.5 grs of rl 23 with the 162's in Norma brass with Br2's. A Trued Remington short action with a base to ogive length of 2.294. Have shot half Mia groups out to 900yds.

I load 59.5 grs of rl 23 with the 162's in Norma brass with Br2's. A Trued Remington short action with a base to ogive length of 2.294. Have shot half Mia groups out to 900yds.
thanks. great powder rl 23 is but sadly I don't have any.
so, Where did you find the nodes with the 162. my research and experience with a 7mm mag suggest around 2900 and 3000 fps.

I could not get my SAUM to shoot the 175's very well. I didn't keep after it very long because the 180 ELDM and 168 ABLR both shot great right out of the gate. I Tried h4831sc and imr7977 and hit pressure early with a lot of generally erratic behavior mixed into the short test run I did. I think I've read somewhere that the ELDX is maximally sized and fares better in looser bores, who knows. I also was limited to 3" OAL so their insane length played a role I'm sure. They're something like a tenth longer than the 180. Curious to hear how you fare.

I highly recommend the 180 ELD if you have better luck finding it than the 162. You'll be running it better than I am in that Tikka action. Both it and the accubond LR tuned in well and the ELDM especially is unfussy. I'm shooting them at 2.950" over 54.2 g of h4831sc out of ADG brass. Both bullets had several good nodes. Both had great accuracy about 1 grain short of initial pressure signs. The 180 will jump a lot compared to the 175 at the same COAL/throat but it actually handles that jump really well, I was shocked.

I had low success with the 7977/h1000 burn rate, no accuracy to speak of, but I don't like compressing and I was using fed 210 primers, hot but not magnum. I never tried 4350 because 4831 is such a clean slam dunk and I think case fill would be a problem. I bet RL 26 will light your life right up. What little data I've seen for the combo it seems like a real freak.

Anyway, just my findings. Sorry I have no MV, I just got my first used chrony and haven't shot over it yet.