7 saum hammer bullets?

matt4284

I am building my first full custom rifle it is going to be a 7 saum on a medium action. I was originally planning to run 175 Bergers with a col of 3.1 but not able to get the them has me thinking of trying hammers but hesitant to have the gun chambered around them. I was also wondering what grain hammers people are running in their 7 saum. Would love some advice.

I am building my first full custom rifle it is going to be a 7 saum on a medium action. I was originally planning to run 175 Bergers with a col of 3.1 but not able to get the them has me thinking of trying hammers but hesitant to have the gun chambered around them. I was also wondering what grain hammers people are running in their 7 saum. Would love some advice.
I'm in the same boat with a 300 RUM & 7 SAUM. Berger bullets are non existent & been on every back order list since August.

I spent a lot of time of the hammer forums & hesitate to build a rifle around their bullets.

What's the range you want to get out of them? I'm running Hammers in 300 win mag, 7 Max, 6.5 SS, and 6.5 CM. They are great out to 500-600 yards in the configurations I'm running. I think the 155 hammer hunter has potential in the 7 Saum to add a couple hundred yards or more to that, if you've got an 8 twist or faster barrel. I'm planning to run them in my 7 Max. I would add that Hammers are not jump sensitive, I'd be more concerned about twist rate in the barrel than I would chambering it for them. My 7 Max was cut to run the Berger 195 EOL and its running Hammers just fine (sub 1/2 MOA, as are all of the hammer loads I've worked up)

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time of the hammer forums & hesitate to build a rifle around their bullets.
They aren't very sensitive to jump so you can seat them as long or short as you want and they will most likely shoot the same. I would throat it for the Bergers and shoot the Hammers until you get some Bergers, you might like them.
I have three 300 RUMs with 4" Wyatt's and shoot the 227 Hammers and there's almost no difference in seating depth other than eating up powder space when seated short.

If you don't want to build around the Hammer, then you're probably not running a real fast twist with the 175 Berger's in mind? Your twist will help determine the best Hammer option to play with. Like others said, they aren't so jump sensitive so you can just build it for the Berger you wanna shoot eventually.

Berger 195's seem to be plentiful although they may be too heavy for a 7 saum. I want to try them for kicks so I called the Berger support and they emailed me load data. While I was on the phone with them I asked when some of the other weights would be in production. The guy said that the only 7mm in production right now is the 168 and it would need to complete before they redo the line for anything else and he didn't know what that would be. Hammer's are sounding really good right now.

I have a 8 twist barrel so I should be able shoot any of the hammers
For optimal terminal performance with Hammers, you're going to want a stability factor of 1.5 or higher. Closer to 2 is better. In my 7 Max, pushing the 155 HH to 3,240 fps in an 8 twist barrel gets a sf of 1.89. The 177 at 3,000 fps has a sf right at 1.50 according to Strelok.

For optimal terminal performance with Hammers, you're going to want a stability factor of 1.5 or higher. Closer to 2 is better. In my 7 Max, pushing the 155 HH to 3,240 fps in an 8 twist barrel gets a sf of 1.89. The 177 at 3,000 fps has a sf right at 1.50 according to Strelok.
What barrel length you have on your max? Just finished one and I'm thinking of trying the 155 hh

I've currently got a 26 inch proof Sendero with 1/8.44 twist. Re-barreling soon to a 1/8 (or faster if I can find one with a relatively short lead time). Running the 131 Hammer around 3500 fps, 180 Berger about 3050 fps, 195 Berger EOL at about 2950 fps. I think the 155 Hammer should reach 3200-3250 fairly easily in the 7Max. The 7 Saum would likely be about 100 fps less

I've currently got a 26 inch proof Sendero with 1/8.44 twist. Re-barreling soon to a 1/8 (or faster if I can find one with a relatively short lead time). Running the 131 Hammer around 3500 fps, 180 Berger about 3050 fps, 195 Berger EOL at about 2950 fps. I think the 155 Hammer should reach 3200-3250 fairly easily in the 7Max. The 7 Saum would likely be about 100 fps less
Got a 20" 8 twist. Ordered some 155s today to try out