7 SAUM bullet for 1:8 22" proof barrel

Ftothfadd

Dear Members,

I have recently taken delivery of a 7 SAUM rifle built on a tenacity long action and 22" 1:8 proof barrel. I thought I wanted to shoot 175 grain ABLR from it but it shot just meh (~1.25"). I am torn now what other bullets should I try. I could do 180 bergers but I am leery of non bonded bullets. So I am leaning toward 165 ABs. Or maybe 168 LRXs. I do not know. What would you do assuming you could find the bullet ;-).
Thank you for your wisdom!

Dear Members,

I have recently taken delivery of a 7 SAUM rifle built on a tenacity long action and 22" 1:8 proof barrel. I thought I wanted to shoot 175 grain ABLR from it but it shot just meh (~1.25"). I am torn now what other bullets should I try. I could do 180 bergers but I am leery of non bonded bullets. So I am leaning toward 165 ABs. Or maybe 168 LRXs. I do not know. What would you do assuming you could find the bullet ;-).
Shoot all of them and you'll find an obvious winner, likely. My 24 bart like the 180 ELDM and 175 EH. I haven't tried the mono's in it as it is intended for LR. Copper and LR are not ideal, but if your expected range is 500 an in, I'dd find a hammer that your barrel likes and go to the velocity side of things. It's how they shine.

162 eldm (if you can find them) are my go-to in a 21" barrel 7ss at about 2900fps shoots in the .2s

Dear Members,

175/180 Berger is your ticket.

175 EH or 168 VLD would be my first choices if you can find them. Really if you want bonded or monos just pick one and try them

Just settled on a load in my (new to me) Rem Seven SS 7 Saum with 22" barrel.
Sierra GameKing 160 HPBT...Not Soft point.
This bullet outshot a couple of other 160 class I've tried in it. BC not the highest but will stack em up to 400 yards which is plenty for what I'll use it for. Still above 2000fps and near 1500lb energy.
No experience yet but have read that its tougher than soft points and it'll punch thru shoulders near to far but may, like others, cause some meat damage inside 100 yards.

I would try a variety of bullets and see which one shoots best, hunt with it and see the results for yourself. Any of the bullets mentioned will kill with a well placed shot. Pick a cup and core and a mono that shoot well out of your gun and go field testing.

The 168 Berger VLD seems to be a really great match for the 7SAUM. That's what I settled on for my primary load for my recent 7SAUM build. The 180 Berger Hybrid is also a great choice. Little less velocity, but it will outrun the 168 around 800yds. I've heard good things about the 162 ELDM for the SAUM, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

How were you loading the ABLRs? I've had decent luck with them in a buddy's 28 Nosler with 1:9 twist. I've also had good results with them in my 28 Nosler with a 1:8 from factory ammo just trying to break the barrel in. The factory stuff was pretty slow, but that could've been a chronograph issue since the drops didn't match up at all. From talks with Nosler, they prefer quite a bit of jump. I'm not sure what your load looked like or how much jump you had, but in my experience they're usually accurate. Personally, I have 177 HH and 195 EOLs for my 28 Nosler. If I were you I'd be giving the 175 and 180 Bergers a try. Also the guys at Hammer are always helpful if you just give them a phone call they can dial you in.