7 Saum Barrel Choice

Jaredk03

Hey everyone, hope you had a great Turkey day with friends and family. I just bought some Adg 7 saum brass and am about to buy a barrel, but can't decide between 2 choices. Main use will be for a sheep/goat rifle so trying to keep as light as possible. I am going the prefit route on a Tikka T3 action. I have it narrowed down to a 24 inch McGowan Douglas 3 contour at 0.625 muzzle OD or a Carbon Six featherweight contour with 0.75 Inch OD muzzle. The Carbon Six is about $370 more, not sure if there would be much or any weight savings over the smaller steel contour. In will likely run with a suppressor, so the larger Contour Carbon Six will be easier since I can get a 5/8 muzzle thread, but I have a Tikka barrel threaded 1/2" so I know it can be done with a lighter contour. This will likely go in a McMillan Hunters Edge stock if possible. Which would you go with?

That's a tough one. I have a couple 24" proof 7 saums. Seem light enough. They don't make a prefit for Tikka. I would go with a carbon for using a suppressor or break. A nice two port Hawkins is all you need. But if you'd trying to go super light, why are you packing a surpressor?

I personally would go with the Carbon. I would bet it will be slightly lighter and the 5/8 threads would be enough for me.

Ryan I am not sure about your statement about Tikka prefits. They do make prefits but not in 7SAUM.

Good call. Way under credited cartridge imo. But they don't offer it as a prefit.

carbon six will rent a custom reamer of your choice. i just ordered my barrel for a 6.5 saum . it was an additional 75 dollars.

carbon six will rent a custom reamer of your choice. i just ordered my barrel for a 6.5 saum . it was an additional 75 dollars.

Swat that is exactly what I was going to do if I went with Carbon Six. Seems like a good deal with the Black Friday discount. What contour did you go with?

i went 22 inch, featherweight threaded 5/8-24,
i have an xcaliber 24 in. spiral fluted that shoots light's out .300 or less with copper creek ammo.
i also have a 18 in. carbon six sendero in 6.5 creedmoor that shoot's 1/2 in. with hornady 143 eldx.

That's a tough one. I have a couple 24" proof 7 saums. Seem light enough. They don't make a prefit for Tikka. I would go with a carbon for using a suppressor or break. A nice two port Hawkins is all you need. But if you'd trying to go super light, why are you packing a surpressor?
Good point, I would like the option to shoot suppressed as I really enjoy it, but might choose to leave the suppressor at home for the tougher terrain when weight really matters. Assuming that with the Carbon barrels since they are stiffer they have less POI change between suppressed and not? My Tikka 6.5 Cm has almost 5 inches of POI shift with suppressor due to the light barrel. Not a big deal, just have to remember to correct for it.

I have a 6.5 saum build on a Tikka action and a 1.2 shank proof carbon wrapped barrel sitting in a McMillan game hunter edge fill. Very happy with it.. I vote carbon wrapped

Tikka stainless action
24" proof sendero contour. 1.2" shank
Terminator T3 brake
McMillan game hunter edge fill 14" LOP pillar bedded with Devcon
If I remember correctly bare rifle was 6lb 4oz.
I have a 20 MOA rail and seekins rings with a Sig Whiskey 5 on it. And it comes in just under 8 lbs

i vote carbon wrap. i shot 35 rds. out of my carbon fiber barrel, and 15 out of my steel barrel both 6.5 creedmoor. the carbon barrel was way cooler than the stainless barrel.

Sounds like a fun build either way! A Hunters Edge may not be wide enough for a carbon barrel, you may need to use a different edge fill stock like the game hunter mentioned above. Or a Mesa Precision Altitude.

I build a similar purpose rifle with a #3 contour barrel at 23" and McMillan edge stock in 300 SAUM. Love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.