7 saum, 180 Berger, and H1000 advise

Doublezranch

I would like to use this combo but data is scarce. I have done educated guesses before with great results but I've had more to go on. The data I've found is with Ramshot Magnum and 7828 which are very close to H1000 on the burn charts but they ARE NOT H1000. Anyone have any advise?

Last edited:
After further research it looks like the 7 wsm guys are using around 61 grains. I would think I should be able to start at 57 and work my way up. Berger says that in order to get enough pressure you would have to fill the case to 109%. I am a little skeptical about that. I would think at 109% you'd be looking at a face full of steel. Can anyone run this in quickload please?

Berger said this:

"Thank you for getting with us at Berger Bullets. We do not list H-1000 for this application, due to its very slow burn rate. To get to a good working pressure, you would be over 109% fill ratio. If you could get all of this powder in the case, you would not be able to properly seat the bullet. Please do not hesitate to get back with us if we can be of further assistance for you."

Remember that you do not have to reach full pressure to get a good load. The saum's and wsm's are topping at 65kpsi, but you can run them in the high 50's just fine. Hell, I'm using 69.5 grains wc872 in my 270win with a 130 bonded as that's the only powder that shoots with the bullet. It's just south of 2700 fps with a 130, but she'll toss ten in an inch at 100 as fast as I can rack the bolt. I doubt I'm over 50Kpsi with the combo.

I'd simply start at the recommended start for a slightly faster powder and work up slowly 'till you either start seeing pressure signs or run out of case capacity. She ought to be very accurate with a mild load and a stick single base. I've always loved I5010 for this, but that powder is hard to find now.

I'd use a mag. primer and possibly even jamb the bullet to help with start pressures if she seems a bit mild when you run out of capacity.

My 7 SAUM shoots the best with H4831sc and 180 Hybrids. I'm running a 26" barrel and it's scary accurate. H1000 worked well for mine, just not nearly as good as H4831sc. My load is over book max, but there is no hard bolt life and just the slightest hint of an ejector mark in the right light.

Now that's what I'm looking for....only with H1000:D

I have 4831. I'll play around alittle and see what works best. How many thou are you off the lands?

I would like to use this combo but data is scarce. I have done educated guesses before with great results but I've had more to go on. The data I've found is with Ramshot Magnum and 7828 which are very close to H1000 on the burn charts but they ARE NOT H1000. Anyone have any advise?
Doublezranch,
Please send an email to [email protected] and we can see about getting that information for you on H1000 with our 180 bullet.

I'd like to know how you're getting 180's in your short action.. I can't even get the 168's anywhere near the lands and still fit in the mag. I could feed one in at a time, but that's kinda defeats the purpose for hunting.. The longest I can fit in is .120 off the lands.

This rifle is a single shot. Plans to get a Wyatt's box are in the future however, I want to make sure this will work. Most of my hunting rifles are single shot. I have always believed a ethical one shot kill is always the way to go. I think all of us here strive for that. But If I do need that second chance, I keep the round between my fingers to slide in the chamber. It has worked very well for me.

Kudos to 500 mag guy tor teaching me this technique.

Last edited:
This rifle is a single shot. Plans to get a Wyatt's box are in the future however, I want to make sure this will work. Most of my hunting rifles are single shot. I have always believed a ethical one shot kill is always the way to go. I think all of us here strive for that. But If I do need that second chance, I keep the round between my fingers to slide in the chamber. It has worked very well for me.
Guys,
With the longer bullets this will probably be an issue until the firearms manufacturers catch up. So they need to hear from you on this. Until then, Getting a long action for the .308 family cartridges and adding A Wyatts EXTENDED MAGAZINE BOX to long actions ( so far its only Remington and Winchester that these are available for now) for the longer .30-06 family and magnum size cartridges. Other alternative is our CLASSIC HUNTER hybrid line that have the SAMMI dimension nose dimension so they can be loaded to magazine length in a standard magazine ( short or long action). Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.