7 RUM Testing

D

daveosok

Have you given any thought into trying some Berger 180 gr bullets? They work excellent in my stw. I too use H1000 and behind 74.5 grains I am getting 3100 fps and simalar groups, I've managed 2.7 in groups at 500 yards so maybe theyll give you better performance being you have a heck of a lot more case capacity.
I also switched from fed match primers to wlr as the feds were giving me to much extreme spread.
Let me know how ya do if you try the bergers because I have been contemplating rechambering my stw to a rum. One note though I have a 34 in barrel so my figures will reflect fps differences.
Dave

Well, it has been quite some time since I was here last. But I've managed to do some loading and shooting of my 7 RUM.

It's in the standard Sendero Stainless Fluted package and topped with Sightron SII series 6-24X mil-dot scope in Leupold Mounts.

091781.jpg

As for my most accurate load that I've found for it, this is what works for me.

Load Name: 7RUMAccuracyLoad
Bullet Mfg: Sierra
Bullet Type: HPBT MK
Bullet Caliber: .284
Bullet Weight: 168
Ballistic Coeff: 0.636
Powder Mfg: Hodgdons
Powder Type: H-1000
Powder Weight: 88.200
Powder Lot Number: ?
Primer Mfg: Federal
Primer Size: LR Magnum
Primer Type: Gold Medal Match
Primer Lot Number: ?
Case Mfg: Remington
Case Length: 2.838
Case # Times Loaded: 1
Cartridge OAL: 3.650
Comparator OAL: 0.000
Av. Group size: 0.250
Av. Group Velocity: 3037
Cartridge Mfg Date: ?
Cartridge Lot Number: ?
Moly Coated: No
Crimped: No

Though it does nearly one-holers at 100 yards, this is what I've found it to do at 300. Still gotta work its way out further. This is under 2 inches at 300 yards and I'm happy thus far. This is my group of a scanned target so the quality isn't that great. I gotta remember to keep bring that digital camera!!!

127590.jpg

Anyhow, I hope this helps out some of the guys interested in this cartridge. I'll let you know how things progress.

Thanks, for the 7 rum load data. I'm in the process of building a 7 rum on a rem action. The barrel is a Sheilen 26" 1 in 9 twist. I am planing on shooting the Berger 180 VLDs. Most the guys around here with 7 rum's are shooting 180's over H-1000. I will definatly give it a try and I was also looking at Retumbo as it seems to yeild higher velocities but the accuracy has to be there. Have you tried Retumbo? If so could you share your results?

Thanks, can't wait to get out and start testing loads.

I have had great success using IMR 7828 and 189 grain Cauterucio bullets.
I use 87 grains of 7828,Fed 215m primer and Remington cases.COAL is 3.625 3 shot groups measure .456 haven't chronoed yet. These are shot out of a 26"barrel on a Remington 700 action.

gun)

I did and you were 100 % spot on . How long is your barrel on your stw and do you think a 30 inch barrel would increase accuracy ? I wish you a Safe and Wonderful Hunting Season .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.