7 RUM donor or Shooter?

Hookturnr

This weekend was good to me but has presented a dilemma. I won a 700SPS in 7RUM and just don't know what I want to do with it! I've already got a 300 RUM LR rig...was thinking about sending out my old 721 30-06 for a rebarrel in 280AI but now i have this brandy new 700 action to play with.......decisions.......How much hassle to rebarrel this in 280AI? Worth going with a 280AI at all? I already have a deep seated love affair with my two 25/06's for anything inside 400yds and the 300RUM handles the rest.....but you can never have enough toys.....well, what would you guys do?

I have a M700 custom in 280 AI, great caliber! I am also playing with a M700 LSS 7mm RUM and it is pretty impressive with the 160 gr AB and Retumbo. I am really liking the 7mm RUM.

I would play with the 7mm RUM and and some point rebarrel it to something different. You would need a new bolt if you decided to go with the 280 AI.

JD338

I agree with JD338 shoot it until the barrel is gone (might not take long) and then decide what to rebarrel to. You are stuck with magnum case heads unless you get another bolt.

I'm kinda leaning in that direction, I do likes the big boomers! I figured a new bolt would be in order, just didn't know about the feed rails n what not with this being an ultra action. My only concern with shooting it is 7rum has a reputation of being a prompt barrel burner and I hate to buy all the hardware to load for it and burn the barrel out in 300 rds.....that kinda ties me into rebarreling in 7 rum again. I figure my 300RUM is gonna have to go visit Bobby Hart next year as it is,(700+- rds. through the factory tube so far) so I dunno..........pros n cons of the 7RUM? I see a 180 gr berger for it, anyone shoot it yet? I've read a few good things about the 168's but haven't seen anything on the 180's

MY friend got his hands on a like new LSS in 7 RUM. It shoots the 180 VLDs which surprised us as the factory barrel is slightly slower than the recommended minimum of 1 in 9.

If it doesn't shoot the 180 there is always the 168. You should also know that the factory builds in a ton of freebore. Don't expect to get close to the rifling with ANY bullet. I had a 7 RUM sendaro that was the same way. If it won't shoot the VLDs you can always fall back on the 160 accubond which I believe is the highest BC for a production premium bullet for the 7mms.

I've never shot the bergers....tough to find around here n always did well with either a hornady or nosler bullet...however, did find a reliable local source for bergers just a couple weeks ago so I think I might have to give her a try. Now to find some glass for it.....super sniper seems to have a following around here, maybe i'll give one of those a poke. any other suggestions in 3-500 range?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.