7 RM newspaper testing

remingtonman_25_06

I went out tonight and did a bit of bullet testing into wet newspaper. I had 5 bullets on hand to try out of my 7 RM, 140g Btip, 150g core lokt (factory), 162g SST, 168g VLD, 175g grand slam. Now my testing isn't the best, but it sure gives me an idea to say the least of what to expect. I soaked newspaper and put them into a cardboard box and shoot into at 100 yards. Theres my glorified bullet testing. Well I had a bit of a problem. The idea was to shoot the 162, 168, and 175 at one box, and the 140g and 150g into the other box. I wanted to see how they penetrated each other. Well after the first shot, the box split open and all my papers fell out. Great I thought. I rigged it up to where I could still shoot into, but it wasn't compressed as good so I thought maybe I would lose a couple bullets out the backside. The 1st bullet I shot was the 168g VLD. It lost the core, shed most of its jacket and weighed 47.5g out of 168. Thats good for only 28% weight retention, about average for what I am use to seeing with target bullets. 2nd bullet was 162g sst. It held 76.5g for 47% weight retention. It mushroomed quite nicely and the lead core was still intact. The 3rd bullet I shot was the 175g grand slam. Well remember how I said the 1st shot messed up my whole process, well this bullet must still be sailing somehwere because the newspaper didn't catch it. The 4th bullet was the 140g btip at 3250fps. It retained 63g which is good for 45% weight retention, about normal for btips. It lost its core, but was nicely uniformed mushroomed. The last bullet was the 150g core lokt at 3100fps (crono'ed). This bullet actually surprised me. It held 91.5g which is good for 61% weight retention. It expanded more then any other bullet except for the 168g vld, but held its core surprisingly. In my other core lokt testing with 120g 25-06, and 180g 300 WM, they did not fare to well, but if memory serves me right, back then I tested bullets at 50 yards, thats a lot more stress on any bullet. Here is a pic of the 4 bullets recovered, from left to right, 140g BT, 150g CL, 162g SST, 168g VLD.

4h8twg5.jpg

Any bullet test is interesting to me. I'm thinking about using the 7mm 150 gr. core-lokt this year in my 7 saum for deer. I like 160 gr. speer's too.

One cheap bullet that you did not test is the Hornady 154g Interlock, it is a really great bullet. I have found them to be very accurate in my 700's shooting 63.0g of IMR 4350, Rem case, 9 1/2 primer at 3100-3150 fps. Have been used on deer, elk, and hogs...they simply work. This bullet gives great expansion and penetration. I shot a doe with a front angled shot, facing me at me at 270 yards. The Bullet broke the shoulder on the left side and was underneath the hide under the last rib on the off side. The bullet weighed 107 grains and was text book mushroom. My family have shot many hogs with this bullet and you will get a pass through on shoulder shots! It is really surprising at the accuracy of this bullet.

You mentioned that you were going to try the Core Loct bullets...they will drive you crazy at how the length of the ojive varies as much as .035. Most 7 Mags that I have shot have been very picky about liking the bullet up touching the lands or just slightly jammed .005. How in the heck are you going to seat a bullet to touch the lands when the length of the bullets vary up to 0.035????

I hope this helps you on your quest!

Keith- I'm not much of a Hornady fan personally. I just had a couple various 7mm boxes laying around and I wanted to see how different bullets would act. The 162g SST actualy seems like a decent bullet. I am not using the core lokt on anything but practice and rocks. I just wanted to see how it would fare in the newspaper, they will not be seeing any field use what so ever. I just bought some 160g AB's to play with. My 700 seems to shoot alright. Only bullets so far tried have been 140g btip and 168g vld and both grouped under .5" at 100 yards. Only took 10 shots with each bullet to get those groups to. Not very picky at all! Hopefully I can get the 160g AB to shoot .5"-.75 MOA out to 700 yards and going 3000fps. The magazine on my 700 is quite long. I'm able to use the 168g vld's as repeaters, and there just touching the lands. My OAL is 3.450" I still have a little room left, so I dont think there'll be a problem with the 160g AB not getting to the lands. The 140g btip was seated to 3.350"

I can not believe you're not out there looking for the Grand Slam! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J/K thanx for the update.

BTW This is what JD 338 reported on the 160 AB's on Nosler.

Here are some 7mm 160 gr AB's shot from my 280AI at 3000 fps MV that were recovered from water jugs at 100 yds.
Excellent performance for the 160 gr AB.

280AI160grABrecovered.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts