7 rem mag over 6.5cm...

DonBogaerts

Im looking for a new rifle next to my bergara b14 hmr 6.5 cm. I've decided on the bergara premier higlander.

my question: would it bring me much to go for 7mm rem mag over the 6.5 cm? Stating i mainly hunt deer and (european) hogs with mono metal bullets so the 7mm would be 140/150gr the 6.5 would be around 120gr. hunting till about 300 meters / 350 yards. Mainly night hunting where distance is not always that easywith thermal and have to base it on field knowledge...

7, at 300 yards the 6.5 will do the job easy but you will likely be tracking more. Yeah yeah bullet placement yada yada. At the end of the day my 6.5 deer run further than the ones I hit with the 7 mag or 308, if those ones move at all.

I own both. Love both. Don't have an issue hunting deer with either. Deer hit by either dont go very far. Having said that, 90% of the time I'm hunting with my 7mm simply only because my 7mm is lighter. If my 6.5 was lighter Id use that. If I was hunting extended range then I'd take 7mm.

7mag is a better choice for pigs, especially at that distance. They don't bleed much and can go a long ways on a single lung, heck even double lung shot. I like my pigs to be bang-flop kills and the mag will do that better for you.

Thats pretty clear... thanks for the advice... ill be driving by my gun smith this afternoon to order my 7 mag 😎 glad you confirmed my thoughts. But was going a bit into a caliber frenzy. Back and forward on which caliber and 2" more or less on the barrel. This being stuck at home doesnt help that either. Hopefully back in the woods in 2 weeks.

Not one of your choices but if you don't want an extra 2 inches of barrel a 30/06 or 308 gives me as many bang flops as my 7mag. I prefer all three over the creed of pigs.

Where I pig hunt feeders and stands are what most people do. I have friends that bring really big ultra mags. The reasoning is multi pigs with one shot. I won't brag about how many my friend got with one shot of pigs lined up in a row all with their heads down in a feeder trough. He lined up with a bipod about 100 meters away and did a head shot. 338 Lapua mag 300 grain accubond. I have learned pass up lots of singles just to wait for two side by side and get two with one bullet.

So my vote would be for the 7 mag. Maybe try and find some 175 gr spbt

Not one of your choices but if you don't want an extra 2 inches of barrel a 30/06 or 308 gives me as many bang flops as my 7mag. I prefer all three over the creed of pigs.
Good choices buth the 30/06 was not available in my choice (otherwise a close contender..)in europe... the 308 i think is to close the 6.5 i have...

Where I pig hunt feeders and stands are what most people do. I have friends that bring really big ultra mags. The reasoning is multi pigs with one shot. I won't brag about how many my friend got with one shot of pigs lined up in a row all with their heads down in a feeder trough. He lined up with a bipod about 100 meters away and did a head shot. 338 Lapua mag 300 grain accubond. I have learned pass up lots of singles just to wait for two side by side and get two with one bullet.

So my vote would be for the 7 mag. Maybe try and find some 175 gr spbt
Yes i went with the 7 mag... ill be looking for the heaviest mono's to try your suggestion.

i hunted big Russian boar in the past and they are tougher than our local feral pigs. I used to have a 28 inch 8 twist 7STW and i tried everything from 160 - 190 gr
We are in west part of germany and east part of the netherlands... we not often get your seize.. ofcourse seize/weight determens if this is possible. The 20 to 40kg seize would be suitable to try this. The 40 tp 100kg not. 100+ we dont see that often and then 1 is hard enough to keep it in 1 spot when shot correctly

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.