7 rem mag neck bushing size info nosler brass berger bullets

rockwind

deserty portion of the SW portion of Merica
what neck bushing size for the following set up?

hi, starting reloading for my 7mm remington mag, 25" lilja barrel 1:9 twist custom. i have brand new nosler brass and will use bergers, either 168 -180 hybrid or vld hunting. it seems like pretty common brand name stuff. i was hoping someone out here was also using the nosler brass and bergers. this is a hunting application. i will probably be looking at at least .002 neck tension up to .004. i don't have my dies yet, i am ordering them right now but in order to save time i want to order the neck bushings at the same time. i don't mind ordering a 2 or 3 sizes, but i don't want to order like 7

yes, i do know how to measure to get the proper bushing size but,,,,i don't have the bullets yet so i can't measure, yet i want to place my order now so it all comes at once, saving on shipping and time. thanks for any help.

2x fired Norma brass, annealed with 162 eldx or 165GC bullets

I kiss the brass with my neck turner to true them up and I use a .310 bushing right now -- the .311 bushing was OK, but just a bit too light for my likes , but it might work with brass that has not been turned ---I also bought a .309 but have not tried it yet

nosler brass is supposedly just sorted Norma brass, and my eldx and GC bullets measure right on .284"

Well since I only have standard calipers I can't get it exact but I was showing about .014" thickness after turning.... I turn my brass necks till I see about 80% of the neck shine, that way it's just cleaning up the thickness so they are fairly even .

If you are going to turn thinner, you may need more neck tension ..might want to check the outside diameter of your fired brass to see about where your chamber is...mine appears to be at saami specs (.316-.317") so I didn't want to trim anymore than just to clean up the brass.

There is ZERO reason to turn necks on a SAAMI chamber 7mm Rem mag. If everything else is in order the rifle will be capable of accuracy better than you. It is just a waste of time. Like I said on accurate shooter measure a loaded round and subtract desired tension which I run .002. On the 7mm rem mags I have nosler and norma brass measure .311-.312 so I split it and went with a .309 bushing. Both rifles are shooting in the .2s-.3s. Order a .309 and don't look back.

i agree a 309-310 would be safe to order .. 308 307 maybe even 306 if you neck turn

i would however disagree about zero advantages , two things .. bullets starting directly on the center or bore axis when chambered & then neck tension gives more consistent release and seating.

i agree a 309-310 would be safe to order .. 308 307 maybe even 306 if you neck turn

i would however disagree about zero advantages , two things .. bullets starting directly on the center or bore axis when chambered & then neck tension gives more consistent release and seating.

How are you going to realize the results of neck turning? You will see the results in SD and possible concentricity. I have no problem getting single digit SDs and under .001 concentricity. I am completely aware of what the advantages of neck turning are and have the equipment and have used it with zero improvement on the target. No turn 6brs and Dashers set records all the time. When is it NEEDED? it is usually needed when wildcatting and the neck gets thick when necking up or down such is the case with the 6PPC. It may be needed if using crappy brass, which I avoid. The other side of that is it is usually used with a chamber ground for your brass not a sloppy SAAMI chamber. I am not going to try to change your mind. I just don't want new guys thinking they need to do it.

I just don't want new guys thinking they need to do it.

oh ya , no need to spend money you dont have to, but to the new guys with saami chamber that just cant quite reach the single digits SD's ( but are close ) , i would bet that turning your brass will be enough change to get you there

The Forster bushing bump neck sizing die in 7mm Rem mag comes with three bushings,
.308″, .306″, .304″

So the first thing you want to do is measure the neck thickness on "your" brass.

The Forster bushing bump neck sizing die in 7mm Rem mag comes with three bushings,
.308″, .306″, .304″

So the first thing you want to do is measure the neck thickness on "your" brass.

I can't count how many different lots of brass and bullets I've been through. Loaded Norma and Nosler measure .311-.312. He's looking for a bushing size so he doesn't have to wait until after he gets his components.

I can't count how many different lots of brass and bullets I've been through. Loaded Norma and Nosler measure .311-.312. He's looking for a bushing size so he doesn't have to wait until after he gets his components.

And Redding recommends if the necks are not turned to use a bushing .004 smaller than a loaded round and use the dies expander. And since you said to not bother turning the case necks a .308 bushing is .004 smaller. And if he does not want to use the dies expander he can use a expander die. And the reason for using the expander is to push the neck irregularities to the outside of the case neck.

I posted the Forster bushing bump die bushing sizes to give a idea of bushing sizes for a 7mm mag.

Yes I know how to reload and I have not used an expander in about 7 years. They are not necessary and often cause crazy runout. .002 is plenty of tension. That Redding info is a cya statement.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.