7 rem mag neck bushing size info nosler brass berger bullets

Yes I know how to reload and I have not used an expander in about 7 years. They are not necessary and often cause crazy runout. .002 is plenty of tension. That Redding info is a cya statement.

And someone else is saying he uses a .308 bushing and I will assume he knows how to reload also.
I am loading this same combination with Redding competition dies. With a 308 neck bushing

And I use Forster full length benchrest dies with their expander and these dies produce cases that have less neck runout than bushing dies. The main cause of neck runout is when the expander is locked down off center. And the Forster full length die holds and center the case neck when the "floating" expander enters the case neck. And using a expander is not the end of the world as many people say especially if the case necks are not turned.

Y7Iyv8o.jpg

Below a Redding .243 full length non-bushing die retro fitted with a Forster expander and spindle assembly.

kWbieba.jpg

And not only do I know how to reload I also know how to reduce neck runout.

I will not get into a ****ing contest with you. Will a .308 work? Most likely. Would a .307 work? most likely. Can you make straight ammo with an expander? Sometimes. Do you need it? Absolutely not with bushing dies. To the OP and anyone new reading this and wanting to start using bushing dies do a little checking around on your own. I would say 7 of 10 people are using .002 neck tension or started there and tweaked. I have reloaded for too many cartridges to count and I did not have to do any tweaking what so ever to get .001 concentricity using .002 neck tension with Redding comp dies. The only thing I do that maybe some don't is seat half way, turn the cartridge 180 and seat the rest of the way. With this consistency over so many different cartridges doing the same thing it seems ludicrous to me to even try another way. If you have extra time to waste have at it. I am confident rockwind has the info he requested.

I will not get into a ****ing contest with you. Will a .308 work? Most likely. Would a .307 work? most likely. Can you make straight ammo with an expander? Sometimes. Do you need it? Absolutely not with bushing dies.

You should write to Redding and tell them they can stop putting a expander in with their bushing dies.:rolleyes:

But you should watch the 6.5 Guys video and note he got less neck runout with the Forster non-bushing full length die vs the Redding bushing die.

And then remember "YOU" are not the only one in the world who knows how to reload. ;)

if no expander is used, you would just be pushing the differences to the inside with the bushing? why not neck turn, so when not using an expander. the bushing would want push to center axis , more likely to get 0 concentricity and equal tension ,

i think you may have just got lucky with a consistent batch of brass being less than .002 difference in order to get .001 run out

if no expander is used, you would just be pushing the differences to the inside with the bushing? why not neck turn, so when not using an expander. the bushing would want push to center axis , more likely to get 0 concentricity and equal tension ,

i think you may have just got lucky with a consistent batch of brass being less than .002 difference in order to get .001 run out

Lucky with about 12 different cartridges some of them multiple lots of brass and even different brands?
I guess I'll go buy some lottery tickets tonight.

The best part about reloading is the person pulling the press handle decides how to do it.

Its amazing why anyone can't grasp why Redding puts a expander in the box with the bushing dies.

Whidden Gunworks
Explanation of Bushing and Non-Bushing Sizer Dies.
https://www.whiddengunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bushing.NonBushingExplanation.pdf

Quite often we hear the question "What is the difference between a bushing full length sizer die and a non-bushing full length sizer die and which is best?"

Full length sizer dies can be broken down into two types. With no preference on either, these types include the bushing sizer die and the non-bushing sizer die.

The bushing sizer die uses a bushing to aid in the sizing of the neck while the body of the die does the sizing of the case body.

When sizing the case, the bushing of the die is pressed around the outside of the neck just after the expander ball of the die passes through the neck.

As the neck enters the bushing the bushing applies a predetermined amount of tension on the neck. The amount of tension is determined by the size of bushing used. As this action is performed the inconsistencies of the case neck wall are forced to the inside of the neck.

As the sizer die is removed from the case the bushing exits the case neck and the expander ball returns through the neck. The diameter of the expander ball will determine the neck tension.

When this action occurs the inconsistencies of the case neck wall are forced back to the outside of the neck case. In our experience this allows for a more consistent neck tension when the case is loaded.

Last edited:
Lucky with about 12 different cartridges some of them multiple lots of brass and even different brands?
I guess I'll go buy some lottery tickets tonight.

if you measure all of those different lucky lots and brands of brass , you will probably find its consistent with all others in the same batch, so of coarse you have the good results you are seeing

when i waste my time turning its to insure myself that i have equal brass measurements across a whole lot of brass, like you do.

... the only way i can measure neck is to either turn it and see what cuts and/or ball micrometer it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts