7 rem mag bullet choice for whitetail.

162 eld m, 168 Berger. You should find an accurate load some where between 3040-3060 fps. You should be able to get there with retumbo in a 26" The 162 sst is an amazing killer. Same goes for it and retumbo.

The 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is what I like out of my 7mags.
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

I second, or third, the 162 SST or the 162 ELD-M in the 7 Rem. The eld-x is just a tad tougher. Don't expect tail-on shots to exit all the time with these bullets.
The SST can be annealed to decrease mushroom size which promotes penetration. This would most likely exit on said TX heart shot.
I set a friend up with SSTs in his 7 Rem, then he booked a trip to South Africa. I was directed by that PH: A-Frame or TTSX. We went barnes. All animals killed were 1 shot. The remainder of that ammo stayed in camp by request of the PH. Take my experience for what you think it is worth.

Last edited:
If you want less meat damage and clean kills hard to beat any of Barnes bullets or bonded premium bullets, Swift Scirrocco Accubond etc. Shoulder hits with ELDs or any non bonded bullets get pretty nasty. 160 Accubond in a 7mag of any flavor is as good of an all around lower 48 rifle there is.

I'm using the 162gn ELD-M in the 7Mag this year. So far, so good. First couple of deer were taken at 400yds. First one shot in the heart, jumped, kicked ran 20 steps then waited for me. 2nd one; high shoulder shot - DRT. 3rd one; taken at 200yds, high shoulder - DRT.
For me, this bullet and the older A-Max's, kill(ed) whitetails great. Exact bullet placement is always the first priority regardless of bullet I think.

What bullet would y'all suggest shooting in a 7rem mag if whitetail is my primarily game animal that I will be hunting ? I will be hand loading for this gun. Thanks!
There are a lot of good choices for whitetail however you didn't specify the range (open country vs. woods hunting). If you can get them, the Hornady 162-gr ELD-X is a great all-around choice. Another great choice would be the Speer Grand Slam; a bullet with few peers. Go with either the 160-gr or if hunting up close, the 175-gr; you won't regret it. If you must have an aerodynamic bullet, you can always go with the 160-gr Federal Fusion. One last choice that will give you flexibility is the 154-gr Hornady Interbond.

The 139-grain SST has been an excellent bullet for deer out of a 7-08 and a 280AI.
I was guiding a kid who was shooting a 7-08 with 139gr SST's.It was his first and second deer.Luckily he had a good guide because neither deer left any blood and both of them traveled about 75yds through the thick thorny South Texas brush.I know the SST's have been beefed up a little,but I never found more than a few drops of blood.Are seeing the same?

I shoot Fusion bullets at deer. You don't need high end bullets for them. Blood trail was fantastic, but not needed as the deer didn't go far. Second kill was CNS and the deer dropped where it stood. Plenty of good ones though. If I was going to splurge a little, Accubond or maybe Barnes LRX would be my choice.

Last edited:
If you want less meat damage and clean kills hard to beat any of Barnes bullets or bonded premium bullets, Swift Scirrocco Accubond etc. Shoulder hits with ELDs or any non bonded bullets get pretty nasty. 160 Accubond in a 7mag of any flavor is as good of an all around lower 48 rifle there is.
Not really hard to beat Barnes at all.
Very easy
Hammers !
Even cutting edge was much better but hammers are as good as it gets

The problem with high velocity cup and core bullets at close range is that they can tear up a lot of meat. A Barnes will expand down to 1600 fps (according to Barnes), and won't over expand at high velocity. I shoot a 7mm WSM loaded to 2850 with Berger 168 gr. VLD hunter. Works for everything; javelina, deer, aoudad, elk. Shots from 75 yards to 349 yards. The Bergers shoot a little better for me than the Barnes.