7 rem mag bullet choice for whitetail.

The_Whitetail_kid

What bullet would y'all suggest shooting in a 7rem mag if whitetail is my primarily game animal that I will be hunting ? I will be hand loading for this gun. Thanks!

I took two whitetail this year with the 143 hammer in a 7RM this year. I won't be switching back. 310 yards took a small deer through the lungs easy, low chest shot. There were no lungs left. Second one was a decent 7pt, 255 yards. I over corrected the low hit and spined this one. Finished with a neck shot. No tracking needed, only lost about 3-4" of backstrap and the entire vertebrae. Going to be getting a 280 ai and plan on using the same bullet in that also.

I've taken quite a few whitetails with the (then) 162gr A-Max from a 7STW. Shots to the shoulder resulted in DRT game. Shots behind the shoulder either dropped them or they'd run 30yds max. I'd expect similar results from your 7mm mag.

Hornady still makes the bullet but rebranded it when the heat resistant tip was added to their line. (ELD-M) These bullets are fairly inexpensive, very accurate and kill deer like lightening.

And if you are concerned about using a "target" bullet; the older Hornady manuals recommended this bullet for hunting thin skinned big game. Maybe they were ahead of their time.

Correct more details, better shape the choice.

Smaller deer, half that distance, absent the other long range tools necessary for 1K, and I'd go with the 120 Hammer Hunter.

Could easily live with any of the VLD's for whitetail.
My load recommendation was for antelope, deer, elk size game up to 1KY. Why have different loads for 3 wild games when you can have one to accomplish all 3. My hunting buddy uses the 180 Berger in his 7MM RM and I use 215 Berger in my .300 WSM on whitetails without any issues. For me, that's efficiency.

Any bullet will work just fine. Your shooting a deer so not hard to kill. Just hit it with a velocity above 1700fps and your basic soft point (old price) $20 a box ammo will kill them perfectly. If you want to do more messing around, testing, arguing, bragging or claim more with your bullet choice you sure can and what ever you choose will work great.

My load recommendation was for antelope, deer, elk size game up to 1KY. Why have different loads for 3 wild games when you can have one to accomplish all 3. My hunting buddy uses the 180 Berger in his 7MM RM and I use 215 Berger in my .300 WSM on whitetails without any issues. For me, that's efficiency.
Certainly merit there. I wouldn't expect any issues, we mostly use .338 RUMS etc for similar reasoning.

The specificity of the question regarding whitetails, led me to a lighter faster choice.

I also must have transposed a range limitation from another post.

Certainly merit there. I wouldn't expect any issues, we mostly use .338 RUMS etc for similar reasoning.

The specificity of the question regarding whitetails, led me to a lighter faster choice.

I also must have transposed a range limitation from another post.
"I" would rather have a LRH range load capability and don't need it than the other way around.

"I" would rather have a LRH range load capability and don't need it than the other way around.
It is LRH and we're both here for that!

It does come in increments over our hunting life, and recedes as well.

I'd need help getting a 100 yard target hung presently, much less following up a long range shot! LOL! Probably tempers my view a bit.

It is LRH and we're both here for that!

It does come in increments over our hunting life, and recedes as well.

I'd need help getting a 100 yard target hung presently, much less following up a long range shot! LOL! Probably tempers my view a bit.
Believe me, I know the feeling but I am not quite ready to give up yet.

Recent Posts