7 PRC SAAMI approved

Additionally I should add that I like the thought of a skinnier bullet being 28 cal. Just hoping someone with more experience than me could chime in with their $.02

I like it though I don't really need it. I guess if I wanted to build a 20" barrel suppressed lightweight hunting rig on an XM action hey wait maybe I actually do need one. If I didn't already have 7mm covered I would strongly consider this cartridge primarily because I bet you'll be able to get quality brass and there will be many off the shelf dies to choose from. 300 PRC has been incredibly easy and predictable for me to work with and I don't know why this would be any different.

morgkj, what cartridge do you have powering your 6.5? If I had a 6.5 PRC I might skip the 7 PRC and go for a heavy .30 cal. Or just stick to the 6.5 PRC and spend the money on ammo and optics. Sorry for being a square ;).

If your 6.5 is a Creedmoor then I'd get excited over the 7 PRC.

So assuming a guys biggest gun is in 6.5 and wanting to go bigger for the next rifle. Would you say this new hotness is something to consider? Been waiting for the 7prc to be released before I decided what I wanted to do. I've been leaning towards a 300 PRC for a while now but like I said I wanted to see the details of this before I decided.

I'm new to this forum but I've seen how forums go, so i better include what im wanting it for. My uses are gonna be elk and deer mountain rifle. Whatever I build will be as light as possible
The 300 PRC or any good 300 Mag is a whole different animal than 6.5. Recoil and energy where most elk are killed is just greater. "Light as possible" are the .338's and 35 cartridges with barrels much bigger hole, less weight and twice the physics kicking the snot out of you and the elk.

The hot 28's still have the name Nosler and Weatherby behind them. Maybe this 7PRC is the next Goldilocks cartridge for the just right crowd but my stable already is full of the perfect 7mm, the .280AI'. ;);)

Good luck! A new rifle is never a bad thing.

So who's gonna be the guy to neck it down to .224?
devious.gif

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

morgkj, what cartridge do you have powering your 6.5? If I had a 6.5 PRC I might skip the 7 PRC and go for a heavy .30 cal. Or just stick to the 6.5 PRC and spend the money on ammo and optics. Sorry for being a square ;).

If your 6.5 is a Creedmoor then I'd get excited over the 7 PRC.
I have a Creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. Selling the PRC though cuz it's to heavy. I do mainly backpacking style hunting with goats and horses so whatever rifle I get I would like it to be under 10 pounds scoped.

I have a Creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. Selling the PRC though cuz it's to heavy. I do mainly backpacking style hunting with goats and horses so whatever rifle I get I would like it to be under 10 pounds scoped.
Lightweight 300 mags are not fun to shoot/practice with. Either have a trainer rifle in a similar set up or go 7mm to take a little less abuse. Run the numbers. 180+ grain 7mm bullets are pretty slippery when compared to 308 bullets until you get into really heavy recoiling 300 mag combos that will shake your fillings loose.

Lightweight 300 mags are not fun to shoot/practice with. Either have a trainer rifle in a similar set up or go 7mm to take a little less abuse. Run the numbers. 180+ grain 7mm bullets are pretty slippery when compared to 308 bullets until you get into really heavy recoiling 300 mag combos that will shake your fillings loose.
Great info to think about thanks!

I would have like to have seen them adopt the 7 LRM as the 7PRC or make it a little longer for slightly more case capacity.

I'm planning on a 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC to replace/supplement my 7 RM. The 7RM is great, but having a little lighter and heavier cartridge appeals to me. A 7 PRC and a 6.5 CM seems like a good 2 gun combo, but a 6.5PRC is too close to the 7 PRC (and the 7RM) for my taste. They're not equivalent, but there is definitely a significant difference between a 140-150 gr 6.5 and a 225gr 308 at similar velocities.

Like most, if brass and reloading supply availability is good I think the 7 PRC will sell like hotcakes.

I knew this was coming out but really thought it was going to be an overbore 7mm300prc. So
I got a Sherman 7max barrel ordered not too long ago to be built on an XM action. Looks like the same velocity for bullets. I'm sure all the brass makers will have brass for this, in due time. But I'm happy with my decision as I get to load adg brass for the Sherman. Just need a barrel to arrive.

Good for all those who want something in this class of caliber and factory ammo support, when they can get it.

I knew this was coming out but really thought it was going to be an overbore 7mm300prc. So
I got a Sherman 7max barrel ordered not too long ago to be built on an XM action. Looks like the same velocity for bullets. I'm sure all the brass makers will have brass for this, in due time. But I'm happy with my decision as I get to load adg brass for the Sherman. Just need a barrel to arrive.

Good for all those who want something in this class of caliber and factory ammo support, when they can get it.
As someone who doesn't reload, the 6.5 CM and PRC family of cartridges have been a godsend with their appropriate twist rate. The 7 SAUM really appeals to me and I looked seriously at getting into reloading, but it really doesn't make sense for me as it would cut into my shooting time which, honestly, is already marginal for my goals and I'm working on dedicating more time too.

Will stick with practicing with my rimfires and 6.5 CM as much as possible and enough time with the 6.5 and 300 PRC so I can hunt effectively. Reloading really appeals to me (I just finished a book on intro to reloading by Philip Massaro as well as reading the how-to-reload section in the Hornady and Nosler reloading manuals), but practically will cost me too much time and money upfront to justify the investment for me. Besides, I can see how easy it would be to disappear down the rabbit hole chasing a little more velocity or just a little more accuracy…. I like my shooting hobby to much to supplant it with a reloading addiction :)

I was getting lined up with a builder to have one of the first once it launched.

I changed to 7mm Remington magnum.

Reading this has a lot of similarities to the 6.5 PRC like the bolt click I keep reading about turned me off from it. That and I want to see some real numbers out of it first

Well, now we know... this intel was WAY off. But would have made more sense. Let's see somebody make rifles now and prove me wrong. I won't be buying one, but somebody will kill stuff with it.
This is the first I'm seeing that the intel is off. I thought everyone agreed it was just the 7 LRM by another name. I already dropped off a rifle (7 RM) and paid for a barrel. It'll be disappointing if the 7 PRC is no better than the 7 RM. I guess we'll see what happens.