7-mm08 for youth elk

Slow Hunting

Does anyone have a good elk round for a 7mm-08 compact? I bought a savage trophy hunter for my daughter and can't find a round that I like and was looking for someone's pet load. Thank you

Hi Dana, the 162gr ELD-X, SST or a bullet of similar weight will have the most energy downrange in this cartridge using RL16 or H4350. At 500 yds you can still have about 2,000 fps and 1,500 ft/lbs of energy with these bullets. This is with a 24" barrel so you will lose a bit of speed and energy with a shorter barrel on a compact rifle.

Hornady's 150gr ELD-X, 154gr SST or Interbond also with RL16 or H4350 is another option, you'll can still have 1,500 ft-lbs at 400+ yds depending on the load.

Lighter bullets will have more speed out the barrel but will lose it faster and won't have the energy that the heavier bullets will.

Dont know of your daughter is recoil sensitive, but heavier bullets will have a bit more recoil however there isn't much difference in this cartridge.

Hope this helps and stay safe

I have 2 7-08's that I have loaded for extensively but neither has that short of a barrel (22"/26"). Of the loads for the shorter barrel that worked well, Varget and a 140 Accubond might be a good place to start. I loaded 41.5 grs at a OAL of 2.8" in Lapua brass and a BR-2 primer. This load was safe in my rifle, take the customary approach, reduce and work up slowly. I have since switched to Staball 6.5 for the same rifle.

If you are shooting at closer ramges say 300 yds or less a lighter bullet will do fine, but a heavier bullet will work better, it will have more energy. The heavier bullet will also work best at longer ranges where the lighter ones just don't have the energy, especially for an elk.

The heavier and higher BC bullets will outrun the faster lighter bullets any day. For an Elk sized animal more is better and it won't limit your ranges like a lighter one.

Does anyone have a good elk round for a 7mm-08 compact? I bought a savage trophy hunter for my daughter and can't find a round that I like and was looking for someone's pet load. Thank you

U asking for a factory round or a roll your own? Some darn good roll your own options already thrown out.

I'd go partition or a I hate to even type this Barnes bullet . I'm not a fan of them personally but a lot of people do have good luck with them. And they may do very well on bigger game

In my daughters 7mm-08 for deer and antelope, Varget with 120gr noslers at 3050 fps. We also use hammers, and 140gr accubonds.

Her rifle is a browning xbolt compact.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.