7 MM VLD's for hunting

Tim Behle

7 MM VLD\'s for hunting

Has anyone tried the Berger 7 MM 180 grain VLD bullets for hunting?

I get great accuracy with them and was thinking of taking them hunting for Black bear in September.

Re: 7 MM VLD\'s for hunting

I talked to Walt a while back about using his bullets for hunting. His word on the subject was that his bullets are fragile and likely to blow up fast.
From what he told me a 7mm should be just fine for small whitetail, but totally not for a bear.
He said a .25 caliber bullet will blow up on the shoulder of a small whitetail,but a hit behind the shoulder will penetrate.

Tim,

Walt's bullets are made with high quality but thin J4 jackets. They're great for paper, but not punching through bones.

You might try JLK or Cauterucio's - both are made with Sierra jackets or those of similar thickness. Sierra 168s don't have as high a BC, but would be a better choice for a hunting bullet than a Berger IMHO.

They work on deer, at least all the deer ive shot with them have died on teh spot.

Dave,

Very curious. Did they hold together or fragment some? I wouldn't have expected them to hold together @ 3,000fps or higher. That's good to know, although a bit of a surprise....

I should have some results from a crop damage deer by the weekend with 176gr Cauterucios from a 7mm Ultramag....stay tuned!
wink.gif

Would the speed make much difference? I only push them out of the muzzle at 2550 fps.

I've only shot a few coyotes with them so far, all under 300 yards, but all bullets have passed through with small exit wounds. I thought with bigger game, they might have more time to open. I've not been pleased with the 162 AMax, under 300 yards they tend make big holes on both sides of the fur. I'd be afraid on larger game, they just splash on the outside, with no penetration.

Match bullets are funny creatures. Sometimes they act like an FMJ on impact & poke a hole right through. Saw what a Sierra 168 does on a thin skinned creature at close range a few years back - through & through plus a metal door, ceiling, & attic. It weighed 168 grains after recovery & only had a bent nose at the meplat plus the land markings.

Other times (usually at higher velocity) they expand or shed the jacket & start to come apart. DC & some of the others can give you a dissertation on what they'll do at a distance.

The coyotes I've shot with 168 Sierra MKs from different .308s have typically had pretty big exit wounds FWIW. None of those were over 500 though. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.