7 MM STW Sendero

John Crabb

I have just purchased a new rifle and would like to shoot targets at 500+. I would appreciate any info on bullets and powder from anyone who has had success.

Good load for 7STW

Here's my best load, for the 139 grain bullet.

Weatherby Mk.V, 26" with 4x12 Leupold scope
139 gr Hronady Spire point bullet.
83.0 gr. of IMR7828 ( MAX. load in my rifle), start lower!
Fed 215 Magnum primer
COL is 3.685"
Vel.= 3410 fps

100 yd. group=0.35"
200 yd. group=0.655"

YMMV

Jim

I like the heavier bullets like Barnes 160 MRX and the 162 Hornady BTHP because they have a better sectional density in order to keep the velocity downrange and the Ballistic Coeficients are higher to help with wind. Any slow burning powder like H1000 would be a good place to start and make sure the primer you use will completely ignite the full powder charge, with that size of case thats a big job. By the way where did you get your Sendero I didn't think they chambered them for 7mm STW anymore maybe I just missed them I have been Looking for a reasonably priced STW like a Sendero I had one in .22-250 and like the gun.

Willgun)

Last edited:
Mine shoots 140&150 Nosler B-tips really well under 1/2" with RL-22.I also have had good luck with 160 accubonds with i believe it was RL-25 . My cousin and friend also have the same gun and they all shot exremely well with these also.

If it's target shooting you want to do, you owe it to yourself to check out the 175 grain Sierra Matchking and the heavier Berger VLD's too. The Bergers can be tougher to get shooting well, but that Matchking bullet is easy to use and very, very good. Slow burning powder, good heavy match-grade bullets and quality handloading will do a lot for you.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.