7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

Yes it would work alright. But id get the SAC saum mag for the dt
Yep I just came across the SAC mag. That sounds like the way to go for sure.
yes, they have been built
I've read that ppl had issues feeding from the DT mags but it sounds like the SAC adapted mag is a good answer.

Just to make sure I'm right in my understanding- if I want to do 7SS in a DT SRS M2 I'd rent the short reamer from Sherman, correct?

I'm not sure what bullet I'll be using. It won't be for hunting. I shoot Bergers in 338 and ELDs/SMKs in 6.5/5.56/ 224val. Should I be looking at a particular bullet for best 1000-1M capabilities or will any of the above be fine? I just want to make sure I don't need a specific reamer if there's a clearly preferred bullet. I also want to feed from the mag. I've read for two days and it seems like Berger or smk 180s are a good choice but don't want to order the wrong reamer off the bat.

Yep I just came across the SAC mag. That sounds like the way to go for sure.

I've read that ppl had issues feeding from the DT mags but it sounds like the SAC adapted mag is a good answer.

Just to make sure I'm right in my understanding- if I want to do 7SS in a DT SRS M2 I'd rent the short reamer from Sherman, correct?

I'm not sure what bullet I'll be using. It won't be for hunting. I shoot Bergers in 338 and ELDs/SMKs in 6.5/5.56/ 224val. Should I be looking at a particular bullet for best 1000-1M capabilities or will any of the above be fine? I just want to make sure I don't need a specific reamer if there's a clearly preferred bullet. I also want to feed from the mag. I've read for two days and it seems like Berger or smk 180s are a good choice but don't want to order the wrong reamer off the bat.
if it's for shooting steel the 183smk(8tw) is a fairly easy to tune bullet as are the 175eldx n 180eldm. I load the 183s for 2 rifles and it was a short process to get them to shoot. In a 9tw they most likely wouldn't be a good choice though. I like bergers alot too but they are tough to get..

if it's for shooting steel the 183smk(8tw) is a fairly easy to tune bullet as are the 175eldx n 180eldm. I load the 183s for 2 rifles and it was a short process to get them to shoot. In a 9tw they most likely wouldn't be a good choice though. I like bergers alot too but they are tough to get..
Good info I appreciate it. I'm confident in SMKs and ELDMs. Bergers are hard to find but I prob won't have the barrel for a couple of months. So I could hold out for Bergers if that made sense. I've shot Bergers in 300 Norma out to 1950 and they did really well. I've never tried to send SMKs or ELDMs that far so not sure if the Bergers would give an advantage or not.

Any idea if this prefit carbon fiber barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC can be rechambered into 6.5 SS or SST? It has about 80 rounds down the barrel. I am thinking since the PRC is a longer cartridge a 1/4" to 1/2" of the chamber end would have to be cut off then it could be rechambered, tenon lengthened, and rethreaded. Is 2.5" enough steel before the carbon fiber starts to do that?

And yes, I just noticed I posted this in the 7mm thread instead of 6.5. I can edit it but do not know how to move it or delete it.... sorry

Bighorn TL3 Short Action 24" 7.5 twist
Bighorn-TL3-SR3-Short-Action-Carbon-Correct.png

Last edited:
Any idea if this prefit carbon fiber barrel chambered in 6.5 PRC can be rechambered into 6.5 SS or SST? It has about 80 rounds down the barrel. I am thinking since the PRC is a longer cartridge a 1/4" to 1/2" of the chamber end would have to be cut off then it could be rechambered, tenon lengthened, and rethreaded. Is 2.5" enough steel before the carbon fiber starts to do that?

And yes, I just noticed I posted this in the 7mm thread instead of 6.5. I can edit it but do not know how to move it or delete it.... sorry

Bighorn TL3 Short Action 24" 7.5 twist
Bighorn-TL3-SR3-Short-Action-Carbon-Correct.png
just use Rich's new 6.5PRC/SI reamer

I definitely agree if I had a medium action but with the short action trying to get closer to the lands with more velocity.
why would that matter if it's just an improvement on the case? did he add a bunch of freebore? (not that that matters too much for velocity)

Question on the 7 SS, if you are planning on working with a bullet that is not in the load data from the Sherman website, lets say 162 ELDM, how do you select your starting load, do you base it of 7 SAUM data for bullets with similar weight? Thanks

Does any knows the max water capacity of the 7 SS, just trying to use Quick Load using the 7 Saum template. Unfortunately do t have any fired brass to measure it as my rifle it's on my way. Thanks