7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

I have had my 24" 1:8.4" 7SSfor about a month now. Mine REALLY loves the 184 Hyb. N565 at 100% case fill (62.5gr) is netting me 2838fps so far with 48 rounds down the barrel and no pressure signs. RL23 maxed out at 2798fps with a full case. No pressure again.

2811fps
20211120_091515.jpg

2838fps
20211120_091520.jpg

2861fps
20211120_091524.jpg

Shot a 10 shot group over 2 hours on Friday in the .4s.

Trying some 165 TGKs tomorrow with it too.

Hawkins hunter M5 w flush mount mags. Should feed fine with BDL setup w regular wsm window box. I'm not a fan of the centerfeeds. Some stocks allow for 3 down but most don't from what I've seen
I've got a Hawkins M5 oberndorf bdl bottom metal that'll run 3 down in wsm/rum/nosler config so the cfe5 will hold 3. Are you using the billet Hawkins or terminus mags with your flush mount M5 hunter dbm? I tried to make a Terminus billet 3" coal magazine work with my 25sst and was a train wreck. Accurate mag wsm mags feed like butter after a lil tuning.

I have been researching what round to get. I live in Maine so I want to be able to kill a deer, bear, and moose with it. My wife and I are going elk hunting next year as well, so I would like it to kill an elk. Which anything that will kill an elk will kill a moose. I am looking at the 7 ss. However as this rifle will be shared by myself and my wife, I am curious what kind of recoil you guys are getting out of that cartridge. Especially the heavier rounds as that is most likely what I would use for elk. My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don't think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I have been researching what round to get. I live in Maine so I want to be able to kill a deer, bear, and moose with it. My wife and I are going elk hunting next year as well, so I would like it to kill an elk. Which anything that will kill an elk will kill a moose. I am looking at the 7 ss. However as this rifle will be shared by myself and my wife, I am curious what kind of recoil you guys are getting out of that cartridge. Especially the heavier rounds as that is most likely what I would use for elk. My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don't think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If I was you I would call Rich Sherman and talk to him. He kill a moose at 900 yards with a 6.5 ss with a 150 gr. Matrix bullet

Last edited:
If I was you I would call Rich Sherman and talk to him. He kill a moose at 900 yards with a 6.5 ss with a 150 gr. Matrix bullet
Moose are easy to kill, just take awhile to die. I'm more worried about an elk. This is my first western hunt and I have 3 potential outfitters. Some outfitters do not allow a 6.5 so I want a little bigger.

I know Rich is on here as elkaholic but I just became a member. Can I message him personally or does he have to give me his info?

Moose are easy to kill, just take awhile to die. I'm more worried about an elk. This is my first western hunt and I have 3 potential outfitters. Some outfitters do not allow a 6.5 so I want a little bigger.

I know Rich is on here as elkaholic but I just became a member. Can I message him personally or does he have to give me his info?
I do not know where out west you are going Elk hunting, but I do know a lot of people from Colorado to the west used 6.5ss for Elk
Rich web site is {www.shermanwildcatcatcartridges.com} go to his web site his phone number is in there. It's best to call in the day
time to 5:00 pm mountain time he is one nice gentleman to talk to for information.

Last edited:
My wife currently has a .308 but she wants something a tad softer. I don't think this would be softer, but I thought I would ask. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
I run my 7SS suppressed. 184 Hyb @ 2831 right now. Recoil is a bit more than a .308 Win, but not a lot more. Very manageable. Now, run a 7SS with a good brake, and you will easily be under .308 Win felt recoil.

Just want to know if anyone else has a barrel as slow as mine.........

Just had a 7SS put together with Impact 737R action and Bartlein Carbon Fiber, Sendero Contour, 8 twist at 26" finished length.

I have 88 rounds down this gun and it doesn't seem to be getting any faster. Most Bartleins I've had speed up after 50-60 rounds.

I'm using BR2 primers and 180 Hybrids with a .020 jump. I started with N565 (59-62.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 62.5 grains (2871 fps). 62.0 grains was 2859 fps but terrible grouping at .920" with SD of 13 and ES of 26. 61.0 grains (2800 fps) shot into a .368 group.....Again not great and terrible SD and ES.

Next powder was RL23 (54-58.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 58.5 grains (2854 fps).

Finally tried 168 VLD Hunters with H4831SC (59-60.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 60 grains (2889 fps). Shot under a quarter inch with the starting load of 59 grains and SD of 7 but velocity was only 2850.

Very frustrating to see all these people hit in the 3000s with no pressure while I get these results.......

@jraulsten try a different primer. In my 65saum, br2 were the worst for accuracy and ES running H1000 and 140s. I went to CCI250 and it made a world of difference. Your barrel does seem pretty slow, what chrono? Labradar or magneto speed? Most other brands can be suspect. I've compared enough Labradar and MS units that I trust them within a +- 10fps between various units.

Just want to know if anyone else has a barrel as slow as mine.........

Just had a 7SS put together with Impact 737R action and Bartlein Carbon Fiber, Sendero Contour, 8 twist at 26" finished length.

I have 88 rounds down this gun and it doesn't seem to be getting any faster. Most Bartleins I've had speed up after 50-60 rounds.

I'm using BR2 primers and 180 Hybrids with a .020 jump. I started with N565 (59-62.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 62.5 grains (2871 fps). 62.0 grains was 2859 fps but terrible grouping at .920" with SD of 13 and ES of 26. 61.0 grains (2800 fps) shot into a .368 group.....Again not great and terrible SD and ES.

Next powder was RL23 (54-58.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 58.5 grains (2854 fps).

Finally tried 168 VLD Hunters with H4831SC (59-60.5 in half grain increments) and hit pressure at 60 grains (2889 fps). Shot under a quarter inch with the starting load of 59 grains and SD of 7 but velocity was only 2850.

Very frustrating to see all these people hit in the 3000s with no pressure while I get these results.......

Mine is a 23" and shoots the 190s at 2810. I didn't build it to beat my old 7mm Rem Mag. I built it to be real close but in a short action, shorter barrel. With a 26" barrel and the 180s I'd expect you to be ~2925-2950. I shoot N565 with the 190s and am loading 64.1gr. COAL is 2.960. I also used to shoot RL23 and my load was 60.2gr @ also shot 2810fps.

What's your COAL? Are you using a standard LR primer or magnum? I use Federal 210Ms. Seems you're pressuring out early to me...

@jraulsten try a different primer. In my 65saum, br2 were the worst for accuracy and ES running H1000 and 140s. I went to CCI250 and it made a world of difference. Your barrel does seem pretty slow, what chrono? Labradar or magneto speed? Most other brands can be suspect. I've compared enough Labradar and MS units that I trust them within a +- 10fps between various units.
I use a LabRadar. I had some outstanding SDs and ESs with RL23 at 2800 and below. I will definitely give the 250s a try next!