7 mm SHERMAN SHORTMAG vs 7 SAUM

My fellow competitors shooting 7 saum/imp cartridges with similar projectiles and velocities are getting 1200-1400 match rounds before retiring the barrel. I had 1800 rds on my first 7 Sherman Short barrel when I placed a very close 2nd in last year's Texas state 600yd f-class championship. I pulled that barrel just because I had another ready and it had to be on the edge. Funny thing was I said that at 1400rds and it kept on shooting. I think the long neck, its 40deg shoulder and efficiency with slow cool powders is a big advantage that translates into significantly longer barrel life. For a large game hunting rifle that sees much less rounds in its life that may not be significant.

That's great I'm happy for you.
But like my posts stated thats just my opinion and my preference. You can disagree with my preference all day long, still my preference. I was just trying to share info about the titled thread to maybe help some fellow shooter trying to decide between the two cartridges.
I will give you one more, I have a 6.5/270 wsm 156 Berger my 3000 fps with 66g. of n565 power and 215 primer

My friends 6.5 SS 156 Berger 3000 fps with 58g. of n565 power and 215 primer that's 8g. less

We both have short action with 3.200 boxes. Now if you said I had a rifle chamber in 7 SS and then I had it chamber 7 SAUM them we could think your opinion could be right.
All I'm saying there is no reason to say one is better then the other if you do not know first hand.

It would help if you didn't make false statements about the cartridge to help others out on deciding between the two.
False information?
7ss needs fire formed up until just recently?
7ss and 7 saum velocities the same?
Or I prefer Redding dies?
What is the false statements?

My fellow competitors shooting 7 saum/imp cartridges with similar projectiles and velocities are getting 1200-1400 match rounds before retiring the barrel. I had 1800 rds on my first 7 Sherman Short barrel when I placed a very close 2nd in last year's Texas state 600yd f-class championship. I pulled that barrel just because I had another ready and it had to be on the edge. Funny thing was I said that at 1400rds and it kept on shooting. I think the long neck, its 40deg shoulder and efficiency with slow cool powders is a big advantage that translates into significantly longer barrel life. For a large game hunting rifle that sees much less rounds in its life that may not be significant.
Now this is good information that I do not have first hand knowledge of. Can't say I have ever kept a rifle longer than maybe 300 rounds. I only shoot a few small matches at best a year, other than that its hunting only.

Now this is good information that I do not have first hand knowledge of. Can't say I have ever kept a rifle longer than maybe 300 rounds. I only shoot a few small matches at best a year, other than that its hunting only.
Yes I know, I own a 7ss. False being a pain to reload. Even with fire forming you need to do that with virgin brass in any cartridge to form to your action. So, there is no real difference there. Being the same velocity is false too.

I will give you one more, I have a 6.5/270 wsm 156 Berger my 3000 fps with 66g. of n565 power and 215 primer

My friends 6.5 SS 156 Berger 3000 fps with 58g. of n565 power and 215 primer that's 8g. less

We both have short action with 3.200 boxes. Now if you said I had a rifle chamber in 7 SS and then I had it chamber 7 SAUM them we could think your opinion could be right.
All I'm saying there is no reason to say one is better then the other if you do not know first hand.

One of current rifles that I base my opinion on is a switch barrel AG alpine, Lone peak fuzion ti, 26" proof sendero light 8 twist 7ss, 26" proof sendero light 8 twist 7 saum, 26" proof sendero light 8 twist 6.5 ss, and 22" proof sendero light 8 twist 6.5 saum. At the time of testing the 7's, only saum brass available was Bertram vs SS being ADG. 7ss runs 195's and RL26, 7 saum ran 195's and H1000 because it didn't like RL26. Bertram pressures quicker but still ran within 40 fps of the SS. Both were loaded .010 off at 2.945. Again I state for me, reduced load to blow the shoulder out to 40* is more of a hassle for 40 fps. I've never stated one is better than the other, I stated for me I choose a 7 saum. The 7 saum test barrel on above rifle was setup on another action and sold. This 7ss rifle just sold this week and customer should pick up next week. Now building a 7 saum on defiance xm with 26" 8 twist proof for personal hunting rifle. Everyone has their opinions, personal preference, and choice what they want. I want and prefer a 7 saum, don't need to be called a liar or that I am basically full of 💩 on a Pro SS post

With the standard reamer, what is the distance to the lands on the 7SS? Really looking for max COAL so I can start loading up ladders for when my barrel is done in a few weeks. I purchased the 169 Hammer Hunter to throw out of this 7mm.

Currently have a 338 SS and it is 2.97 or so. I am officially on the Sherman bandwagon 😂

With the standard reamer, what is the distance to the lands on the 7SS? Really looking for max COAL so I can start loading up ladders for when my barrel is done in a few weeks. I purchased the 169 Hammer Hunter to throw out of this 7mm.

Currently have a 338 SS and it is 2.97 or so. I am officially on the Sherman bandwagon 😂
I DONT KNOW WITH THE Hammer but a 180 Hybrid is 2.920"
The Hammer would be less but would take up case capacity.
You might want the smith to throat it for the Hammer

I DONT KNOW WITH THE Hammer but a 180 Hybrid is 2.920"
The Hammer would be less but would take up case capacity.
You might want the smith to throat it for the Hammer
I am having Preferred Barrels do the barrel work. I believe they purchased the reamer from you directly.
For the 7SS, is it typically 2.920 to the lands?

I am having Preferred Barrels do the barrel work. I believe they purchased the reamer from you directly.
For the 7SS, is it typically 2.920 to the lands?
I just got my barrel from Preferred and ask them to throat my barrel to 0.230" to support 195 Bergers. No problem and no extra charge. They were great to work with.

I'm wanting to build a model 70 CRF SA into a 7SS or 7SST, and leaving it as a blind floor plate. Anyone done something similar, and does the SS feed ok from a mag or no bueno?

I'm wanting to build a model 70 CRF SA into a 7SS or 7SST, and leaving it as a blind floor plate. Anyone done something similar, and does the SS feed ok from a mag or no bueno?
My 6.5SSs all feed flawlessly from a DBM mag or BDL with box magazine. A blind mag should be no different than a BDL style magazine box.